I have suffered from high blood pressure for quite a while but it was still acceptable four years ago. I have recently been back to the doctor because I trust the blood pressure and sure enough my blood pressure was through the roof, it was a 190/110 and I think I will need medication in future. They will still check my blood pressure twice before giving me medication. So I was hoping you could all tell me what drug is the best for lowering blood pressure and what drug doesn't have too many side effects?

I have just started on hypertension medication myself and I was prescribed enalapril at first, but caused a terrible allergic reaction and angioedema and had to call the doctor in the middle of the night. I nearly choked and an ambulance had to come to my house. Now, I am on hydrochloorthiazide aand it is working much better for me. I am still not quite at the level I need to be, so I think the dose will need to be upped. I do feel a bit tired from the hydrochloorthiazide, but on the whole it has been OK.

Thanks for your reply! That sounds rather scary, I hope nothing like that happens to me! Do you know what ingredient in the drug you used caused the allergic reaction? Is this something that happens to many people? I'll be sure to tell my doctor that is a drug I don't want!