Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I didn't take this very well because I didn't think there is anything wrong with me or my body. Now I found out that I have this condition and my doctor told me that I should get a home INR monitor.

I really can't afford a home INR monitor. I heard some people in the hospital talking to each other about how their monitor was covered by Medicare, and the others how theirs was covered by private insurances, so there's got to be a way I can get the same thing.

Does anybody know for sure is home INR monitoring covered by Medicare and/or private insurances?

Hi Alan,

There is a number of conditions which would make you eligible for getting an INR home monitoring device that would be paid by medicare and most private insurances. I'll write down these conditions for you:

- Mechanical Heart Valve (MHV)

- Atrial Fibrillation

- Venous Thromboembolism, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), or Pulmonary Embolism (PE)

- Hypercoagulable state.

Since you have atrial fibrillation, you are already half way there. With this checking done, you are going to have to go through training in order to learn how to use INR home monitoring device. When you show that you learned it, then you are going to get one paid by medicare or private insurance.

Hello guys,

Like Stradivarius wrote, atrial fibrillation is one of the conditions that allow you to have your INR monitoring device paid by medicare or private insurance, but there are two additional conditions that you need to fulfill in order to be eligible for this which Stradivarius didn't mention:

You need to have been taking warfarin or a drug that is used as a replacement for warfarin for at least 90 days (or 3 months). Besides this, you need to be physically capable of performing a test by taking a fingerstick blood sample or have a caregiver that could assist you.

Now you can see for yourself if you are eligible for this matter.

Hello everyone,

Alan, while reading these posts I've come to the conclusion that you aren't eligible to get an INR home monitoring device paid by medicare or private insurance yet.

As Stradivarius wrote, you have atrial fibrillation which means that you have one of few conditions that makes you eligible for getting this device for free, but on the other hand, Adria said that you need to be using Warfarin or a similar drug for not less than 90 days before applying for this. You said that you have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation just recently so I'm guessing that you haven't been using these medications for long enough.

Good day there.

Here is what I know. Well, to be eligible for home INR testing under medicare or most private insurance you need to be diagnosed with some health problem, such as : mechanical heart valve, venous thromboembolism, pulmonary embolism, hypercoagulable state, atrial fibrillation (maybe I have forgot something).

Well in this case you need to meet some criteria to be part of, such as – have you been taking warfarin, you need to be physically capable to perform a test by taking fingerstick blood sample.

Also, you need to be able to demonstrate the correct use of the home INR monitor.

Hello. First, your doctor needs to prescribe this service for you and testing supplies in order for you to receive Medicare or private insurance coverage.

Home INR Monitoring program is a service that is typically covered by Medicare and most private insurances as well. Once you get it you will be trained by personal network of qualified trainers how to use it. They will show you clinic or home settings and during your training you will definitely be able to learn how to operate the INR monitor.

Whatever else you need to know you should definitely ask your doctor. He will help you, trust me.

Good day guys.

I am a little bit skeptical with it comes to home INR monitoring system. You ask me why? Because I know that many doctors are still learning what are all those availability for their patients. I know that you can talk to your doctor and ask him directly to provide up – to – date clinical information and benefits of self- testing to make it available for you. Others already told you how you can get it, what are some main conditions and what you need to do when you get it. And it is covered by private insurances.

Good day all of you.

INR home testing devices are generally available to patients and they are often reimbursable by insurance carriers. Warfarin management through patient self – testing at home is at least as effective and safe as INR testing. So, I think that there is no doubt about this.

Patients who use INR by themselves can not only check their own INR but they can also learn to adjust their own medication and their own therapy.

But you need to remember that you need to be physical available to perform this testing. That is very, very important.  

Good luck.