Hi, I was wondering if someone would help me with a question about a surgery (microdiscectomy) I had about 2 years ago. I was having extreme numbness in my left buttock down through my left proximal hamstring. I tried PT, shots, then surgery. Originally I thought the surgery helped but after a while the numbness came back so I went to my doctor and he had me get another MRI where we found that the disc had not reherniated; so he just said the nerve takes a while to heal.

Well, it's been about 2 years and I still have to sit on an ice pack for relief as the numbness still radiates from my buttock to hamstring (albeit not quite as bad as before the surgery). There are good and bad days of course but it's still there. I am still taking Gabapentin (900mg daily) but that doesn't help

Any advise as to what could be going on and what I should do?

I had microdiscectomy 5 years ago. I suffered severe pain so it required surgery. As it is not that common, I developed reherniated disc a year after the surgical procedure. I was on painkillers for a period, but had to do the microdiscectomy again.
I would suggest you to talk about your physician about taking gabapentin without benefits. It’s not such a drug that can be used without risks of adverse effects. I use common analgesics and nothing more. What I have decided lately is to look for help at the other side. I mean alternative medicine. I have pain and think that 2 surgeries were done without benefits for me, and 2 times I got general anesthesia which is not that risk less. I’ve already started looking for ayrveda doctor that would help me. Would like to keep in touch with you and only that can suggest you is to do the same thing.

I had The surgery at MCV in Richmond,Va.Microdicectomy,Laminectomy,Foramenotomy.Still out of work and hurting all the time.Currently taking Darvaset for pain and Voltaren for Arthoritis in my knees.Im only 36 years old and feel like 70.I was thinking that the operation would fix my back problem and I would be able to return to work within four to six weeks and began welding,Boy was I wrong on that.Now my doctor tells me that the Degenerative Disc Disease will not get any better,and would most likely get worse.He never said this before the surgery!~!#@.
My advice is to try and find something like a hobby to take your mind off the pain.Only take the pain meds when you really need them because there not good for your liver at all.And take one day at a time.
For me Im into RC Aeronautics and Modeling.Im a member of AMA and messing with my airplanes has really helped me alot and theres nothing like flying something that you created.Best of luck,Hope you feel better soon. :-D