I had a s/p L4-5 decompression / discectomy on May 25, 2010 and directly after surgery I experienced extreme pain in my left hip that the surgeon said was not normal. I was sent home and pain symptoms were not getting any better. On my follow-up visit I complained of a extreme headache and had what was classified as a huge pseudomeingeocele located from the surgery site on a MRI. On July 6, 2010 I had a second back surgery to repair the leak and drain the fluid from my back. I also have damage to my thoracic spine at t7-8 with a small herniated disc (with pain), vertebral disc height reduction at t11-12, and desiccation at L5-S1. I am trying to find out why hips have dislocation/sublifaction now after surgery and why my pain levels are worse now than prior to the surgery? I still have pain radiation in my thoracic spine continuing into my ribs, muscle spasms, numbness and sciatica pain bilaterally down both legs. I cannot even feel the left two toes on my left foot. My hips pop with internal rotation, external rotation, and with flexion of the knee. I am just trying to find answers on what might have caused this pain level increase and if the hips could have a correlation to the surgery?

I am posting in reference to the hip pain. I had spinal fusion L 4-5 in ajn. 2009. Approx. 2 months after surgery I starting experiencing severe hip pain and numbness and pain in my left calf and foot/toes. this continued for several months and eventually the symptoms went away. I have a friend who underwent the same surgery in Dec. 2008. (1 month before me) and she suffered severe hip pain for approx 14 months after surgery. Now, almost 20 months after surgery she is healthy and pain free. The Pain went away. She stayed active by walking 2 miles a day even with the pain to strenghten and keep her back, hips and sciatica all moving. Hope this helps.