I'm a 34 yr old male 6ft4in 220 lbs. well built and very active. I am a beer keg delivery driver and My job consist of myself alone driving a semi from stop to stop delivering 1-30 170lbs kegs of beer. Either straight in to the bar or could be up or down curbs stairs ect.... I've been doing this job all my working life and DO know the correct lifting methods. Unfortunately about 3 months ago I was in a short basement and moved a light box twisting the wrong way and per mri have herniated my L5 disc. Also told I have degenerative disc des. I thought I may of just tweaked my back and after a week of discomfort I found a local but very reputable chiropractor near home and have been going for treatments 3-5 days a week. I've been doing stim&ice pt and decompression table at his office ontop of core exersises stim and even a decompression table he gave me for home use. I'm taking alot of vitimans and minerals. Supplements and stretching as well as trying my hardest with keeping good posture and lots of water. I'm ready to shoot myself or go into a deep depression because NOTHING is working! My question is Im thinking about the corto/roid shot. I've read up on different treatments so much I could write a book on them! I'm contemplating surgery. I'm trying everything I can as the dr suggested try all before the knife. Makes sense. After learning what my job consist of and being that's the only job I know and are qualified for ( that's the only position available in my co ) After this shot... After surgery.... After anything besides what I'm doing now.... Will my disc be able to handle the job after the fact? It's either I go for the knife and suffer finically. Or deal with the pain and continue to work and therapy with hopes it will strengthen back to normal. No one can tell the future but every story I've read everyone claiming they're "better that before injury" doesn't have a physical job as myself. If anyone has any pointers, experiences , or treatments that's helped please let me know. And I do know time off and finding another job is an answer. But not practical for me in my finical position. Thank you go your help. God bless.

I don't know whether I have a herniated disc (could never afford all those diagnostic procedures) but I have lower back pain that dictates what I can and can't do if I don't take care of it.

I did chiropractic for years until I found Egoscue.  There is a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue and there is a web site,

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

, where you can find the telephone number of the Egoscue clinic near you (I assume you are in the United States, you sound very American).  Before you have surgery at least read the book and talk to the clinic.  If the book is not in your public library you can buy it used online, and talking to the clinic is free.

Good luck, back pain is horrible.  Let me know how you do.

I am 17 years old and I had a bad fall resulting in an L4-L5 disc herniation, I recently had surgery after exhausting every possible treatment option, including steroid shots. My situation may not pertain as much to yours because of the significant difference in age, but just recently (today) I started to feel the same pain as I did before the surgery near my disc in my lower back. This terrifies me because I'm so young and doing the surgery was already a risk and now, I'm afraid I've reherniated it and I'm scared to go through this entire process again. This has physically and mentally ruined my last year of high school, I've missed out on so many events due to this chronic pain. Especially since i couldnt go to school for the last two weeks and my grades are slipping because I'm buried in make up work, i simply can't miss any more school or ill fail my senior year. I'm scared to death that if I've reherniated it and I'm going to miss out on my last summer home, as well as my freshman year in college. Someone please help me understand if I'm overreacting and this pain is just healing pain, or if I've reherniated it and need to have another surgery

I hope your pain has disappeared on its own and you are continuing your high school career in good health. If not, I hope you have called your surgeon to find out what is going on.

There are a number of options for herniated discs and other back problems that are effective and less dangerous than steroids or surgery. They are also less costly. However, you have to do research to find them and you have to evaluate them yourself. You might start with a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. The exercises in the book helped me a lot; then I decided I wanted to be healthier and got a customized set of exercises from them.