Hello, folks. My brother has been diagnosed with central disc protrusion. He is in great pain, so I think he will go for a surgical option. I would like to know if decompression can be done under anesthesia. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me something more. Thanks.

Hi to you too. Disc decompression is a surgical procedure which decompresses pinched nerves. Small portion of bone fragment is being removed. Disc fragments that are herniated are also removed. This makes more room for pinched roots of spinal nerves. These procedures are delicate and must be done under anesthesia. I don’t know what you meant. Did you think that it could be done without anesthesia? I hope your brother will be all right. Bye!

Hello, everyone. There are two types of disc decompression procedures. Those are microdiscectomy and laminectomy. The first one is micro-decompression and the other one is open decompression. Microdiscectomy is performed with lumbar herniated disc. It is more effective for leg pain than for lower back pain. It is all done under anesthesia, so you don’t need to worry. I even think a patient only stays for one night in hospital. Medicine has really improved in the meantime. Good luck!