Hi, folks. My sister in law has been diagnosed with central disc protrusion and she feels a severe leg pain. Her doctor recommends her decompression as a solution. I would like to know how this is procedure is done. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with some more info. Thanks.

Hi, there. Disc decompression can be done in two ways. The first one is microdiscectomy and the other one is laminectomy. They are both done under anesthesia, so you don’t need to worry a lot. A patient stays for only one night there. Both of these procedures are more effective for leg pain than for lower back pain. In microdiscectomy, a small portion of bone over the nerve root or/and disc fragments is being removed from under the nerve root. This provides room for nerve to heal. In laminectomy, similar things are done. You should consult a surgeon for details. Good luck!

Hi, guys. I have recently heard for LASE. It stands for “Laser Discectomy”. Here, a laser light is used for fixing the problem with disc. This procedure is known to be more common and less invasive than others. Patient is under sedation. Endoscope with a laser fiber is carefully placed into the disc. Laser is used to remove the troubled fragments. You should consult the doctor about more info for this procedure. I hope this helps. Bye!