I"ve had Mirena for almost a year. I have gained weight and my appetite for sweets has been high, but I thought it was just me being me.

however, my question is whether mirena can fall out on it's own? I was with my husband tonight and (Sorry if TMI) I was on top, just finishing up and all of a sudden he shouted "something is poking me, get off!"

I thought he meant something was under him on the bed, but he meant inside me something was poking him hard, like a metal wire!

Could it have been the threads? Could it be falling out on it's own just like that?

We've had six children (yes, by choice) but I was ready to stop and Mirena seemed like a great option. Besides the weight issue, I have been very happy with it and have not had any spotting or periods all year (although I am still nursing the baby).

Any advice? Anyone have a similar situation?
AJ

Hi there. I know for a fact that Mirena can fall out on it's own. I just had one put in about 3 months ago and they did tell me to always check for the strings and to follow up them to make sure it goes to the curvex.
I also wanted to sak you a question. How much weight have you gained and how fast? I only ask this because I have had the mirena iud for 3 months and have gained about 10 pounds and my sweet tooth has turned into a mouthful of teeth! All I seem to want to eat is junk and I can never seem to get enough...and this isn't like me at all!
:'(

I have probably gained about 10 pounds or so, but more than the gain has been my mad desire for sweets and chocolate. I've never been one with great will power, so I didn't attribute it to the IUD.

But it's freaking me out that the mirena could just come out. Is it dangerous? Wouldn't I feel it coming out? What if I get pregnant??

I guess I need to call my OB/GYN for a recheck. I saw her several weeks after it was put in and it was fine, but it's been about 10 months already.

Would love to hear more experiences by other women...

AJ

Like I said, I just got mirena today and I have had it before but it got taken out because my nurse thought I was pregnant. Anyways, I love the idea of mirena, but I'm concerned about it falling out. That would just be awful, what if I were to get pregnant? It hasn't fallen out, but I'm just worried knowing that it can. Another thing is the two threads attached to it cause a lot of discomfort for my boyfriend. He too said it felt as if they were poking him and it hurt. I asked my nurse and she said it could take 3 months! She also recommended that we don't have sex for a week after the insertion. What were you guys told as far as how long to wait? %-)

ive had mirena for a little over a month now.
but when my doctor was done she said i could have sex that night
altho that didnt happen cuz i was in so much pain from the insertion that day
did anyone else experience horrid pains/cramps for the first 24 hrs?

I have had the mirena in for about month and half and i hate it, i have never get along with the pill and other contraception, thought this would be different!
I too eat so much sweets, god though it was me haha..chocolate sweets ice cream, not like me I mean i love chocolate but not like 2 times a day!
I also have had extreme pain and cramping, i did have an operation and then had the mirena inserted but the pain the moods i feel so depressed!
I had sex the other night (on top) and my insides are so sore, i feel like my ovaries are swollen. Hope that it has not moved and cut me or something god!
anyway thanks for the thread, very useful, esp the sweet tooth!

I have had the Mirena for about 4 months now and i have also been gaining weight and eating sweets like a 2 yr old. I'm waiting on my period and i am very concerned! I have no clue weather or not it fell out!! :$

hi, i have had my iud in for about 2 years. i have gained weight but i dont know if the iud is to blame. but it would make since. i stoped bleeding and cramping about 4 months after i got it in and there has been a couple of times i had crazy pain that i didnt know what caused it. but know i am starting to think a lot of different symptoms are caused by the iud. you are supose to check for the strink things every month or so and i havent for a while (6 months or more). and 2 days ago i couldnt feel any think. i only checked because i have all the symptoms of pregnancy and that only makes my suspitions worse. i go to the doc tomorrow. cross my fingers. but my sister in law is a doc and she tells me that they usually never fall out but on occasion may dislodge. (i am sorry my spelling is horrible). but when i first go my in my doc told me she may have to adjust the lenght of the strings if they poke me or my husband. ask your doc to fix it if he/she can. i hope i helped some

I had the Mirena put in last Monday and by Wednesday I felt a very slight poking in my vagina...I figured it was just something that was heeling from the implant. But today I went to the bathroom and could actually feel the Mirena falling out! I am going in today to have it taken out completely. It's entirely too much of a hassle to deal with. LoEstrin, the pill, I took before I was pregnant and it was wonderful...no weight gain, no acne, nothing! I'm going back to that!

HI,OK I GOT THE MIRENA PUT IN 3 WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE BEEN IN REALLY BAD PAIN FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW LIKE WHEN IM LAYING DOWN AND I GO TO SIT UP I WILL GET A SHARP PAIN IN MY STOMACH AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING SOME LIGHT BLEEDING AND CONSTANT PAIN IN MY LOWER STOMACH...SO I CHECKED FOR THE STRING AND IT WAS NOT THERE IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IT CAN FALL OUT AND IT GO SOME WHERE ELSE IN SIDE OF ME?IF SO WHAT CAN HAPPEN???I GOT TO MY DOC TOM TO FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THIS HAS HAPPEND TO ANY ONE ELSE??? PLEASE HELP

Celebrity
Iv had the mirena for 5 months. It has helped with the heavy bleeding but i still spot for 14 every 2 weeks.
I check it every month to make sure its still there.

But one thing is bothering me at the min. Every since having it in iv had syptoms of a cold

Im not ill, but have rubbish in my throat making me cough, a runny nose, blocked all the time, sneezing a lot an my voice is hoarse by the end of the day.

Im going the doctors today to ask her what she thinks

But she says its an allergy!!!!

Hey guys, ive had the mirena since 07/10/08 and it just fell out the 27th of February ON ITS OWN. Im not saying im complaining.. because it was the worst 7 months of my life no doubt. Headaches turning into migraines, backache lower area, modd swings -severe-, depression, always too tired, anxiety, hair loss, acne, weight gain and then stayed at the weight after i gained about 15lbs. Im now 150lbs. I couldnt lose or anything. Loss of sex drive was mine and my husbands main concearn. IT SUCKED. The only thing i liked was having no periods. The day it fell out and i realized it fell out was after my husband and i had sex. It was just right there. When i went to the restroom it fell out. Now i think im pregnant. I will know the 12th of March, but im not ready to have anymore, but im not opposed to the idea either. I have a 2 year old and im starting out in my career and college and just dont think its the right time. But if i am im definitely keeping our baby! I have sore breasts, severe cramping on left and right sides and in the middle. I feel sick if i dont eat and when i do eat. Frequent urination, and so on. I havent had all this before. Most women mention the sore breasts during the mirena.. but i dont recall that at all. Do you think im pregnant? I had 2 days of bleeding most was old blood and now im so unsure of whats going on. If its mirena after effects or what?? ANy thoughts or ideas?? Thanks Ladies!
-Malorie

I had Mirena placed in Jan. 2008 and by March 2008 it fell out. My insurance does not pay for birth control so I had to fork out $1000.00 for this and I was mad that it came out, well luckily I was within the 3 month warranty time frame, and Mirena replaced it for free. I got it replaced March 2008 and my dr. cut the strings to short. I had my yearly exam yesterday and the dr. said I can't see the strings because they are inside my cervix. Nice.. So when ever i decide to have it removed it will be difficult my dr. said. I have also gained about 15 pounds, caused depression and for the first 10 months I bleed all the time, first it was heavy and then turned spotting about 3 out of 4 weeks. now i barely spot at all. Mirena has it's pro's and Con's. My Friend had hers removed because she wanted to have another baby as soon as it was removed she had a normal period and she got pregnant right away. I never had the sore breast either.
Malorie - Did everything turn out ok?
%-) I hope this helps.

Amy ;-)

I got the Mirena in Dec. 07' after the birth of my child. I had about 4 periods in 6 months and then they stopped. My main (huge) complaint is that I lost all desire for sex and to top it off I eat nothing but junk food which is not typical for me and has caused me to gain 20lbs in the last year. I was not told Mirena had hormones in it nor was I told to check it every month. (my mistake for not doing research and just trusting my doc.-shame on me) Mine just fell out a few days ago shortly after sex!!!! Frankly, I am tired of hormones in my body that don't belong so I will be using the Paraguard with no hormones even though it causes heavier periods. People wonder why so many women have lost their drive for sex and I truely believe it is all the hormones we are pumping into out body. NOW TO THE URGENT PART OF MY MESSAGE FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED - For those who are against abortion, all of these IUD's cause abortions that the woman is not even aware of if a fertilized egg happens to make it through. This was explained by my doc and I did do further research on on the net. All you have to do it google "do iuds cause abortion or do bc pills cause abortion" and you will get more info on it. Here is a summary - Mirena and all bc pills have 3 mechanisms- 1) inhibiting ovulation 2)thickening the cervix mucous making it hard for sperm to travel to the egg, and 3)thinning and shriveling of the uterus to the point that it is unable or less able to facilitate the implantation of the fertilized egg. The first 2 mechanisms are contraceptive, the last is abortive. The Paraguard is only slightly different in that the copper disables the sperm, but again if one should make it past and fertilize an egg, the copper creates such a hostile environment that the egg can not attach. It does depend on your opinion on when life begins - whether it is at the moment of conception or when the fertilized egg attaches to the wall of the uterus. Only when all 3 mechanisms fail will you get pregnant, that is why they have such a high success rate of 99%. So again, google this if you want to know more because if you take any of these methods, you could potentially have an abortion and not even know it. Some Dr.'s will not even insert the IUD's for ethical reasons because they know it causes unknown abortions. You could end up having one once a month, once a year or luck out and never, but the risk is there. If you need proof of this you can call Dr. Sneider in Federal Way, WA at 253-944-6950 and ask if he does the Mirena or the Paraguard and you will be told he doesn't do either for ethical reasons. If you are serious about getting more information, I can forward it to you. I urge everyone looking for a good birth control to not only look up the name of the product, but check out negative side effects and ask if it could potentially cause abortions. I am sitting on the fence to whether life begins at conception or begins when it attaches to the wall of the uterus, all I know is that I am sick of all the hormones messing me up, changing my moods, and ruing my sex drive among other things. If you would like more information, please email, serious inquiries only. I believe it is wrong to give a woman a form of birth control and not make it very clear all of the side effects especially the abortive side effect when they don't even know if their patient is pro-life or pro-choice. I have a website that explains the bc pill part of it and would be happy to forward to anyone who is interested. My direct email is _[removed]_. One more thing, the Depo shot works the same. All I hope to do is educate women about what I have learned in the last 3 days.

I've had Mirena for 9 months now and until about a week ago I loved it!! I recently started feeling depressed and have had pains in my abdomen...I haven't gained any weight but i can't seem to lose any either!! I can actually feel my Mirena in my cervix, and I've been passing clots and lightly bleeding...I called my doctor and I go tomorrow!! I'm actually looking for alternative methods of birth contol on the internet!! If anybody has advice or suggestions please help!!