This post is an extension of the
Mirena iud weight gain thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I will be the first to type on this link. I have had my Mirena in for 3 weeks and I am getting it taken out. The Cramps were horrible often ending in the fetal position. I got past those. The mood swings were bareable my boyfriend didnt even really see a difference. The weight gain is the problem. Once I realized I couldnt zip up my pants I knew something was wrong. I went and bought the next size up 11's and those barely fit. I didnt even need to weigh myself I just looked in the miror and knew. I dont ever weigh myself because muscle weighs more then fat and I very athletic but this is just ridiculous. And now I am getting depressed when I look in the mirror. This is really bad when you wait tables and bartend!! People are always looking at you. I am getting this taken out Monday and we will see how hard it is to get these pounds reversed. I wish I would have seen this site prior to getting this placed. Now you know.
BTW I have 2 friends that got this and have had no problems but if you have gained weight on the pill it will happen with this too.

I have had mirena since Aug. 07, The first couple months I still had my period , after that, I had nothing, Great right? Well, first let me say that I am 37 yrs old and never had kids, I have always had very bad periods, to the point that I could not get out of bed the first day of my menstrual cycle. Ive been on the pill most of my life but when I turned 35, my doctor took me off because I smoke, Yes, I know, bad me, I smoke, Anyways, My periods were unbearable, till finally my doctor suggested mirena, I had to have this placed in my uterus in the hospital and under anesthesia, I have too much scar tissue on my cervix from past procedures. The last 14 months have been wonderful not having a period at all, but I have gained 8 pounds since then, I havent over eaten, I dont eat junk but now I am just so sick of feeling bloated and fat, I have always been a size six and now finding myself coming home from work and running to my room to get my sweat pants on because im so uncomfortable, Ive been moody, depressed and pushing my husband away every time he wants to be with me, due to feeling so fat and ugly. And yes , acne too.. My face has been breaking out like crazy.After researching this more and reading the same issues with other people, I think im going to call my doctor and have this removed, but now what? What other alternative do I have to help my periods? I cant afford to call off of work one day a month because my periods are so bad!

I have had the Mirena in since I had my last child 5 years ago. I am due to have it out soon and will not be doing this again. I like the freedom it offers but the price i have paid is terrible. I am 35, athletic (gym at lunch for 45 minutes, karate 3 days a week for an hour, cardio kickboxing 2 days a week for an hour, weight training at home for 30min 3-4 days a week) and have gained 30lbs in the past 5 years. No matter the amount of dieting I do or the amount of exercise I do its just not coming off. I have been slowly gaining weight for at least 4 1/2 years. I didn't think that it was the IUD at all and was just blaming myself for exercising so much and thinking muscle weighs more than fat. After talking with friends that are having similar problems since they had theirs my health is much more important at this time. I get angry after taking a shower and having to look at myself in the mirror, I have been more depressed with myself and pushing my husband away when he wants to cuddle or have sex. I am glad I am not alone and hopefully when I have it removed, I will be able to lose the weight and feel better about myself.

I have had Mirena since Nov 2006, I have not had a period since Jan 2007 except for some small spotting. I thought this thing was amazing until I started reading all these post. I thought it was just me, I have gained 30 lbs in 2 years, my acne has gotten worse, it use to just be on my face, now it is on my back and chest. I have really bad lower back pain and sometimes get really bad cramps. I have been thinking about getting it taken out but I am really bad at taking pills. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have had mirena for a month and a half. I am 19 years old and never had a child, since i had it put in, i have had bladder infections, intense pain, weight gain of 15 pounds, mood swings, exhaustion, and nausea. Ive also had headaches and possibly hair loss. I have thick hair and always shed, but its worse.
I am getting it taken out today, i pray the weight gain comes off easily.

My story with the Mirena seems to be the typical one.
I'm 32, I have 2 children and got the Mirena put in after having had problems with heavy periods from using the copper IUD. I've been pretty happy with the Mirena. No cramping and after having it in for a year my periods stopped completely. But then my doctor noticed the weight gain.
I'm a tall and lanky person at 5.9 and never gained weight unless pregnant. My normal weight without diet or exercise has always been 130-135...I know, that's pretty skinny, but this is normal in my family, my mom, my dad., my brothers. This is how we are young or old. I had the Mirena put in 2 1/2 years ago and have steadily been gaining weight. I now weigh 150lbs, not heavy but not my normal weight. I know that this steady weight gain started after having the Mirena put in...very slowly, but steady. Even though my weight is not bad for my height I'm having it removed because I don't know if the weight gain will ever stop.

I've had my Mirena in since April 2008 and have gained about 10kg (22lbs). I will be having it removed as I have watched what I eat and exercised and have not lost anything. The benefits for me with Mirena have been the lighter periods, but the weight gain is too much for me to cope with.

I got Mirena after my child 5 years ago. I lost all my baby weight and then some and was so proud of myself. I gradually started putting on weight after getting the IUD and could not lose it no matter what I did and just did not put two and two together because my doctor said It would not cause weight gain. I have so many diet books it is not funny. I joined gyms and walked 3 miles every night and still no weight loss. I decided since my 5 years was up and after reading the posts and everything I have experienced with no energy, always hungry the weight gain, that I was not having it put back in. I had my tubes tied this past Thursday and even though I am sore, I feel internally like a new person. My appetite feels normal again, I have energy and have not had the dizziness, stomach nausea or any of the issues I was having before. The plus is I lost 3 pounds as well since Thursday which before was impossible and I have not been eating anything different. If anyone is having issues with this I would highly recommend looking at other options and do not waste 5 years of feeling miserable like I did and wondering what is wrong with you that the doctors cannot figure out.

I had the Mirena IUD put in Aug of 08 after my second child. I had lost all my baby weight and then some until the IUD was put in. In 7 months I have gained right around 20 pounds,have serious headaches,back pain, breast soreness,and have basically spotted the whole 7 months.Not to mention the worst thing was I had a tennis ball sized cyst on my ovary that burst that was more then likely due to the IUD as well.(I'd never had one before) I even went and got prescription diet pill and I have lost 5 pounds in 2 months, the doctor I am seeing for the diet was speechless he said he's never seen anyone react so badly to the pills. (I have had 3 friends take them that have dropped at least 15-20 the first 2 months) He also said he's never had anyone with an IUD try to take them and after he did a lot of research for me informed me of all the bad side effects of the IUD(including what I've been going through which I had blown off on getting older and having a second baby!) So I called my OB and she told me that it couldn't be the IUD that is was wonderful and that I was overreacting! I jog 3-4 times a week and get on my Wii fit everyday! I eat maybe 2 small meals a day (thanks to the diet pills) but never lose any weight! So I basically told her off and told her she can take it out or I will go somewhere else. That was last Wed and my apt to get the evil thing out is the 17th. I can't wait! I just don't want to feel like this anymore and maybe after it's out I can drop some weight before I go on my second honeymoon to Cancun in May! Wish me luck and thanks for sharing!

I also have had trouble with Mirena. I had it taken out today! I have only been on Mirena for roughly 6 weeks. Since than I have had acne like never before on my back, neck, chest and face. I normally have great skin. I have gained about 5lbs since I have had it in, which is almost ridiculous. I felt bloated and have terrible cramps. Also, my boyfriend as well as myself has noticed moodiness and laziness. No one told me these were the side effects. Well, it is gone now and time to lose the weight. Ugh! As if women don't already have a hard enough time with self esteem and our weight, they do this to us!

Im 23 with 3 kids and so i had an Iud (Mirena)put in place after my last kid in july of 08 .. since then I've been extremely depressed and keep gaining weight.. i was 128 after i delivered my last child (around 125 have always been my normal weight) since july I have gained 10lbs.. i dont over eat and i exercise as much as possible.. seems like no matter what i do i always feel bloated and keep gaining weight... my hormones have been off the wall.. i will be fine one minute and crying the next..i hate it

I am so glad that I went searching for reasons that I have gained weight. I had a baby boy in 2007 and lost all of my pregnancy weight within one week after delivery. I had the Mirena IUD put in May 2008. Up until the I was incredibly thin. Now in April 2009...I am overweight by 10 pounds for the first time in my life with exception to the pregnancy. I have an appointment to have the Mirena IUD removed on the 21st of this month. Hopefully, I will manage to lose all of the weight that I have gained...(25 pounds) Because I am sick of this!!

OMG! after reading all this I'm going to have my mirena remove ASAP! I cant wait, I decided for mirena because my doctor recommended it but I am sure that if he had warned me about all my new pounds I would have never opted for it, I hope I can loose the 20 extra pounds I have at the moment in a short period of time because I have my graduation coming and I dont wanna be like a potato with a hat.
Good luck to everybody.

When I read these posts, I couldn't help but think, "Those Bastards"!!! How can these docs ethically recommend the Mirena to us women while knowing it is going to screw up our bodies! I am 26 and have a 4 year old. I am 5'6" and usually weight about 103 to 105 pre-Mirena. My doc actually suggested that I have my thyroid checked pre-Mirena b/c she thought I might have a thyroid problem causing me to not be able to gain weight. Well, Mirena sure as hell fixed that problem!!! I got it inserted around June of last year. I am about 118 now, which may not sound bad, but all the "weight" is going to my stomach, boobs, thighs, and butt. I never even thought it could be from the Mirena. My boyfriend actually suggested it to me. After reading all of these posts, I am thoroughly convinced it is due to the stupid Mirena! The only good thing that came from this is my boobs grew a cup size. That is a heavy price to pay considering I can't fit into any of my jeans/clothes anymore.

I am getting this thing out ASAP! I think their should be some kine of recourse to attack this company that has blatantly misled us!!!!!!