I had my last period starting 13 days before my Mirena was removed. After it was out, (day 14) I started bleeding. After 3 days, the blood turned bright red. How long does this period last? I also hear that women pass blood clots too...? Is this normal? Is this a possible miscarriage?

I'm in the same boat as you, so unfortunately, I'm no help. What I can tell you is that I had my Mirena removed 6 days ago and I've been bleeding ever since. The thing is, I don't really know if that's normal or not. A big part of the reason I got my IUD in the first place was because I had really long, bloody periods. When I was on the IUD, I usually just had spotting all the time (probably what a normal period is to other people). So I don't know if this is from having a contraption yanked outta me or if my periods are just back to their miserable pattern/ consistancy/ quantity.

like you i had my period a week prior to my IUD removal. I am now on week 2 of bleeding and blood clots, i thought at first of a miscarriage, but my husband, a biology major told me that it was probably the wall of my uterus clearing out after years of thinking I was pregnant. Because thats what the IUD does to your body. I don't know if that helps any but I am glade to hear that this is not only occurring with me!

I'm going throught the same thing! I'm going on 2 weeks also and it actually seems to be getting worse!! I'm about to call my nurse to see if this is normal, its so very frustrating!

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I had my Mirena removed (I only had it for five months - couldn't stand the constant spotting and bleeding I had with it - I got it so I would bleed LESS!) - and I'm still bleeding heavily from the removal. Today is particularly bad, pad or tampon every 2 hours or less. I called my doctor twice during this and was told it's normal and to wait a month. It sure doesn't seem normal to me! I have low iron (which is why I got the Mirena in the first place) and if I'd been told this could happen after removal I would never have agreed to it in the first place. Makes me mad! Now I feel crummy and have to take loads of iron and just hope it stops soon. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone, though. I've been searching and searching the internet and not finding lots on the subject of bleeding after removal.

I have not had any of the complaints you ladies mention - I had the Mirena for 5 years and had no periods/spotting aside from at the very beginning and i just had it out 5 weeks ago and other than one day of bleeding a few days after removal I have not had anything. I was doing a search to see how long it takes to get back on normal cycles for people.

Just had my Mirena IUD removed last Thursday after having it in a year. Started heavy bleeding yesterday (Saturday). It stopped later that night and suddenly hit again this afternoon (Sunday). It is extremely heavy - changing every two hours. I never had periods like this in my life, except after giving birth.

On the bright side, the terrible pains and cramping are gone since the removal. And it seems others are in the same boat as me with the bleeding. Ah the joys of womanhood!

I am also have very bad bleeding after having my Mirena removed. The first day or two just some spotting. But shortly progressed the heavy bleeding and very large clots. I called my dr twice and they said it could be normal but wait and see.....I then ended up in the er today after some extremely heavy bleeding and a very very very big clot. After hours of tests they didn't seem to know...they wanted to do a biopsy but the bleeding slowed down. Told me to call my OB in the morning....I will never do this to my body again!!

i took my mirena out myself because my husband and i wanted to try for another baby. i checked my ovulating charts and i was supposed to be ovulating this week! but as soon as i took my mirena out i started bleeding 2 days after. The only problem is i had my period 6 days before i took the mirena out. Is this normal? Are you supposed to have a period after the mirena is taken out! please...can someone provide me with an answer for this!

I just removed my Mirena 3 days ago after having it for almost 2 years. According to my calendar I should be ovulating today or tomorrow, BUT started bleeding the day after it was removed and was confused if this was a period or my body just adjusting. It got me wondering if I could get pregnant still, even though I was bleeding. I finally found a GREAT answer on RxList.com that said this:
"IMPORTANT! If Mirena is removed mid-cycle and the woman has had intercourse within the preceding week, she is at a risk of pregnancy unless a new Mirena is inserted immediately following removal."

So, yes, if it's removed when you are ovulating you CAN get pregnant despite the bleeding. And the bleeding is normal as your body is getting back to normal.

I do not have the same complaints either. Had my mirena removed after having it for almost 4 years and i got on here hoping to find out when my normal cycle will be. Any answers? I had one short day of bleeding after removal. Wondering when I'm supposed to get my period. Could I already be pregnant?

What about those of us that haven't HAD a period while on Mirena? I got mine inserted 2/2008, last period was a dribble in June 2008. Nothing since, other than some tenderness in my breasts & GI issues similar to my PMS - but not consistently. I need to get it out as I've gained 25-30lbs since insertion, with no other change in diet or activity level (I've been working 2 jobs since 2005, so I do get a fair bit of walking in).

I have had Mirena for 18 months and got it removed 19 days ago. While having it I gained almost 20lbs, have had mood swings, and acne (which Ive NEVER had before!) Today, more sudden golf ball size clots pushing past my tampon that was only in a short while. Passed many large clots and then regular period bleeding after just like I have since day 3 after removal. THIS SUCKS! We decided to try for a boy after 3 girls and now I just feel like I am going to bleed for years...Good news-Ive already lost 7 pounds without trying!

I just had my Mirena removed on Monday no bleeding until Thursday, pretty heavily with about quarter size clots. I too had gained at least 30lbs from mirena and have a bad feeling it is going ot be hard to get off but at least i feel like myself again! Hope the bleeding doesn't last too long!

:'( I'm in pain, i had sharp in my legs towards my uterus. I just had mine removed I think 8 days ago. i have big clots come out. The first time before the first big clot came out. It was like i was having a baby severe cramping then all the sudden my water broke. Water gushed out a little blood mixed in. I woke my husband told him he helped me to the restroom. I sat down and there went the biggest blot. Now i bleeding so much im extremely tired still more clots. :'( I dont have and any insurance i wish i took it out my self like one of you did.