hello! Although Mirena contraceptive was promising beautiful stories, this is not my case. Ever since I had one, my periods became heavy, with cramps, I put weight and my breasts got bigger ( as if they weren’t big enough before). Another important thing I have to report is decreased sex desire. I am definitely thinking about removing it but first I want to hear other experiences. Is there anybody else with such side effects or is it just me?

Hi there! No, you are not the only one. I experienced weight gain and changes in my mood, so did my boyfriend who begged me to quit with the stuff. I decided to get it out as soon as possible. Still haven’t decided on what I should use next, so we are on condoms at the moment.

I first had the Mirena coil put in August 2000 and within six months I had gained almost one and a half stones and lost my sex drive, become very depressed and anxious with horrendous mood swings. My relationship broke up. I had three young children and had always gone back to a size 10 quite quickly after birth [even with twins].
I couldn't believe how much weight I put on but I persevered with the coil because at the time I didn't know about these side effects as my GP convincend me it was impossible for the Mirena to cause weight gain as the hormone was only released in tiny amounts!!!!
Around four years into my coil I started to lose weight and feel happier.....I guess this was due to the hormone running out of supply. I had it removed after five years in August 2005. Lost weight so quickly it was unbelievable.
Stupidly after getting involved in a serious relationship this year I have had it put back in as thought it was maybe worth another trial.
HOW I REGRET this decision. The insertion was September and is is not the start ofNovember. I am so anxious and low the whole time. Gained weight rapidly. Have gone up a bra size and they are constantly tender to the touch. I have no libido whatsoever. My head is so bad it is like a big black cloud hanging over and whilst driving back from airport this morning I thought about driving my car into a brick wall to end the way I was feeling. Ireally can't cope any more an am going to have this damn coil removed asap.
I feel I am giong to ruin my current relationship with my awful mood swings and lack of libido. I feel overweight, pufffy,ugly an having the biggest feeling of doom and glood hanging over me.
SUCH a reliefe to find this thread of messages to read that made me at once feel "normal" as my GP kept insisting all my symptons were nothing to do with it an she put me on antidepressants which do nothing either really.

I've been using Kariva (Miroset) for about a year and I've lost my SEX DRIVE, become more depressed and anxious and I bloat up like I'm pregnant (and I am a fit, small person) I always feel drained and exausted even though I eat healthy and exercize regularly. I am coming off BC! There are other methods like the Natural Method (Sympto-Thermal Method). condoms, spermasidesm etc. I can't wait till we're married and we can just let Nature take it's course!

I'm suprised to see such mixed results with Mirena. I had my first one inserted in May 2001. The first few months were pretty rough, almost constant bleeding for 3 months, but I already had frequent heavy periods. During the 4th month I started to see some lessening in the bleeding, and by my 6th month I stopped having periods altogether. I had no cramping, and only the occasional twinge of ovary pain. I continued to use it until April 2006, when it was time to replace after 5 years. The removal wasn't any more painful than a pap smear, and the insertion was comparably uncomfortable as the first time. I had VERY light bleeding for three or four days, and since then, I've had no periods. I am happy that it's worked out so well for me...I know I won't be ready for another baby for another year or two. I just hope that when I'm ready to get pregnant again, I won't have any problems.

I had the Mirena inserted 1 March 2005, after my gynae convinced me that it's the best as I already had two boys, and was bleeding very heavily. My gynae told me that I would still have bleeding for about 6 months after insertion but I had it for 2 years!! I picked up weight, where I've always been a size 6, even after the birth of my boys. I was terribly moody and crying all the time and my skin looked like a teenager's.
My husband and I decided a month ago to have it removed because we want to have another, our last baby. I had it removed and my doctor told me everything would return to normal within 24 hours, I had heavy bleeding 3 days later, which only lasted for the day.
My doctor phoned now cause there's something wrong with my papsmear - this was a second one in 3 months.
Now I desperately want to know, as I can't find my answers anywhere - could this be due to the Mirena? And I can't help wondering will I still be able to fall pregnant??

I had the Mirena put in October of 2006. I have had a period, not bad periods, until this month. My period has not been regular. In December I remember having it around x-mas and in February around the 10th. Anyway, I had a small, very very little trace of blood and have not had a thing since. It has been 2 weeks and Im still waiting for a period.

I have 2 boys 14 months apart. Austin-2 years old June 20th and Alec-7months on the 30th. I am scared out-of-my mind that I may be pregnant. After paying $600 for this, it doesn't work....????
I had taken a pregnancy test on March 17th which stated NEGATIVE. What is going on?

I also have to go next month for my 4th test on PPT (post partum thyroiditus). Is it this, the Mirena or what that is causing me to feel soo stressed out with my kids, not want to have sex but maybe once a month. I'm really having a hard time being sensative to my husband, nor do I want him to touch me...
HELP.
Thanks alot for reading and listening.

I have had the Mirena over 3 years and it's been wonderful.

If I have gained weight it's because I eat entirely too much chocolate. I know it's true ;-)

Honestly it's been a godsend for me, no periods, no pain.

I don't know what I would have done without it.

I have had Mirena for a year and a half now (was inserted August 2005...after the birth of my son). The first few months were crazy! My periods were off and on, and when they were on they were heavy! Now I don't have a regular period. I may spot for a couple of days, but that's once almost every two to three months....if that. My issue is with the breast size. I didn't have any problems....wait, I take that back. Lately I gained 14 pounds out of nowhere (I was 123, now I'm 137). Not that I'm complaining about that. I have been trying to gain weight for years, but in the course of gaining weight I also lost my breast! :'( I used to be a 34D, now I'm a 34A/B. I didn't start noticing a reduction until a few months after Mirena was put in, when everything else in my body went whacky! Also, I'll have spontaneous combustions (I'll "discharge" as if I'm aroused for no reason)! I have never had any of these issues before! Has anyone else lost their breast size or had unexplained vaginal discharge? I'm considering taking it out since I'm celibate now, but I know I won't be that way forever. I just wanted to see what else everyone else has been through before I make my official decision. My "girls" were my asset, and this may sound shallow, but I want them back!!! The downside is that all other birth control methods don't work for me (shot makes me ill & hair falls out, forgetful about pill, patch makes me ill & I lose weight, and I'm afraid the ring will have the same effect). I'll check back for the next couple of weeks to see what others are saying, but I'm thinking that in May this thing has GOT to go! It's okay....but I need my body back, regulated the way it was! As far as gettin' pregnant again, if it's meant to be.....it'll be regardless! Since I'm not doing anything, I really don't have to worry about that so much! So, what else have you gals experienced?

I have had this thing since 2005. I thought it was a God send myself, until i started picking up a lot of weight, breast hurting, depression, high blood pressure, migraines, and that's just a little bit. I just found out today that these were common side effects of the Mirena. My doctor didn't tell me any of this when I got it and I asked questions. This thing is coming out as soon as I can get an appointment! Wanted to know if it hurts really bad when it comes out?

This is responding to Diamond Geminii,
I too have lost my girls and experience the vaginal discharge as if I am climaxing as well as I lost a great deal of weight. I have been on the Mirena since May 07 after I gave birth to my last son. I was thinking that a birth control that I do not have to think about would be wonderful. Lik you I have been celibate for a while and was thinking of having it removed. I was a size 6 before starting the Mirena and now I am a size 3 which is not a good look cause I built petite. Well good luck ladies hopefully my experience will help someone in the near future

This is in response to Diamond Geminii, I too have lost my girls as well as experienced the discharge. I lost a great deal of weight and could not figure out why until I came to this sight. I have been thinking about removal. I too am celebate at this time and was thinking of trying another form of birth control to see what helps.

Ok, so my wife got this installed and I thought it sounded like a great idea. No worries about taking the pill every day. No worries about the monthly period. She told me everything the OBGYN said about it and again, it sounded great.

So a week or 2 after it was installed i started noticing that she wasnt interested in sex. I figured it was our twin girls running her ragged.. wearing her out to where she only wanted sleep. I also had just switched to night shifts at work and I figured this was playing a part.

Now it has been about 3-4 months and her sex drive is just non existant. We used to have sex at least 1 to 2 times a week.. and as much as 2 times a day. Now I am reduced to begging and then I feel as though she is just having sex to get me to stop begging... as though there is no joy or desire there at all. Which in turn ruins the experience for me... it has gotten to the point where I am reluctant to initiate sex at all. It just depresses me. So now we are on a once every 2 week schedule which consists of her almost giving in to my every-other-night pestering.

So anyway... I talked to her about possibly getting it removed.. mentioned the long list of side effects that can happen. We have spoken about the loss of sex drive. Her response was that it really hurt when it got installed... to the point of calling it VERY VERY painful. She does not want to get it removed for fear of the pain...

I don't want to ask her to do something that is painful. It is her body and I feel it should be her decision. I would be lying if I said it doesnt upset me that the issue is not resolved. I am not sure how much longer this can go on before it starts to cause serious problems in our relationship... I love her to death, and I know I will stay with her reguardless, but I wont be happy and I fear neither will she.

Not sure how anyone can help my sitution... maybe explain the amount of pain involved...

I guess i just needed to get this off my chest even if no one responds... but hopefully someone will read this and it will help them

I would never recommend this product to anyone... it is just to hard to step away from if you dont like the results. Any pill you take that starts to depress you, or lower your sex drive, you can just stop taking... this however requires a doctors visit... and who knows what else.

Anyway... any advice would be appreciated. thank you

Hi - as a wife who is suffering from low sex drive now, I wanted to respond to you even though I'm not sure I have anything helpful to say.

You sound like a very sensitive and thoughtful husband; have you told your wife exactly what you said on the post? (It's her decision, but you hate that you're both unhappy; you'll stay with her regardless...)

Maybe you could offer to be with her during the procedure? Her OBGYN may not be happy but I don't really think they can bar you from the room. If you were a proven help during the birth of the twins, then she would probably appreciate having you there. Plus she could feel free to get a little messed up on codeine or whatnot if she has you there to drive her home. :-) Just a thought.

I wish you both the best as parenting and marriage are tricky at the best of times!

Next week I have an appointment to get my Mirena removed. Enough of the side effects. It has gone beyond the limits. The only thing I enjoyed these two years were lighter periods as promised by them but it came with a big package of side effects.