My mom went yesterday to see a doc for those weird symptoms she experience lately such as blurring vision, double vision and occasional blindness, but she also suffer from loss of balance lately, fatigue and joints pain as well as the muscle weakness. When she got back from the doc I saw on her diagnose chart is written – demyelination. So I’d like to know what demyelination is and how it could be treated and is my mom going to be better after taking avonex she’s being prescribed.

It is more likely that your mom is actually diagnosed with multiple sclerosis which is autoimmune disorder that affects permanently the central nervous system and than those symptoms occurs and you’ll see there could be much of symptoms related to variable groups of diseases. And the demyelination means loss of myelin or to be more precise damage of myelin sheet which role is to isolate nerve endings and makes the nerves to accept brain messages the fast as possible. But in case of demyelination it comes to myelin damages and this damage might in some cases be so severe that it also affects fibers that are located inside of the myelin sheet and than the MS symptoms are even worse. I also have father with MS and I can tell you it is much important to accept that you mom has MS and that’s not some kind of a disease that can be cured for it won’t be cured ones you get it you have it for life. But taking avonex treatment she might manage to reduce the MS symptoms during attacks and even shorten duration of these attacks. I don’t know if your mom has been warned of the possible avonex side effects but it won’t be bad for her to know that they may trigger a depression or frustrating sensation and constant fatigue.