Hi! I'm a 26-year-old, active female with a low/moderate stress career. For the past 2-3 months, I've been experiencing some extremely noticeable and frightening symptoms. I have been to my general doctor more times than I'd like to admit, as well as a neurologist, who both think these issues are related to anxiety, which I am not mentally experiencing. I even went to a psychologist to try to address this "physical anxiety," but she doesn't think I show signs of anxiety at all. I hope to get a second opinion from a neurologist soon.
Here are my symptoms since Dec 11, 2016:
Symptoms in Order of Occurrence
- Daytime muscle twitches • Painless; often visible but sometimes very small or just resulting in a “twitchy” feeling in my chest, shoulders or legs. Daily.
- Myoclonic Jerks as I’m falling asleep • Nighttime jerks occurring between 1-9 times on certain nights, about 3 times a week.
- Deep Muscle Aches on a specific side of body • Deep ache that seems to be worse in my hips, lower back, or shoulders depending on the day. Sometimes disappears and reappears within the day.
- Feeling of Muscles “Buzzing” or prickling • As if all muscles, especially legs, are overexcited.
- Tingling, Hot Feeling on Left Side of Head/Scalp • Seems to coincide with neck and shoulder tension.
- Heaviness of feet that doesn’t result in lack of strength/ability to exercise • May not be related as I've had stress fractures in the past, but it causes some concern on days when I otherwise feel okay.
- Heart palpitations and chest tightness/tickling • Was only a problem for about a week, but very noticeable
- Acid Reflux-type symptoms • Never experienced this before December, and only about 5 times since.
- Nausea/Panic attack • Usually only if I’m overwhelmed about my health
Things I’ve Tried:
- Reducing or eliminating caffeine (may have helped — more caffeine makes daytime twitches and nighttime jerks worse)
- Adding or reducing alcohol (1-2 drinks helps with twitches, hangover makes it worse)
- Taking Methyl B12, Methyl Folate (needed for MTHFR gene), Vitamin D, Magnesium, Theanine Serene
- Talk therapy
Tests Taken & Results:
- Panel Bloodwork: Normal except low Vitamin D and discovery of homozygous MTHFR gene mutation.
- Inflammation blood test: No inflammation
- Mono: Negative
- PTH: Normal
- Calcium & Phosphate: Normal
- Vitamin D Follow-Up: Low-Normal (42)
- Neurologist Strength & Reflex Testing: Unconcerned by results, but said my reflexes were a bit “jumpy” but no more than normal for a young woman.
For me, asking for a neurological advise was a good move, but obviously they do not take it as a concern since some crucial symptoms are missing.
You said it suddenly started in December. Do you have in mind any particular situation which could be a trigger?
In terms of triggers for that first night, I can't think of anything other than some excitement/anticipation over a pending job offer that I've since received and moved on from, with no improvement in symptoms. And even that certainly didn't make me anxious. Nothing in my diet changed, but I had a couple of nights where I stayed up a little later than usual and got less sleep because I was preparing for the interview.
In fact, these symptoms began shortly after a massage, but haven't gotten better or worse after receiving more massages.