Last night was the second night in the past week where I couldn't sleep, and it's really frustrating. It's not that my body doesn't want to sleep; I'm plenty tired, I don't feel anxious or stressed, and the only thing that keeps me from sleeping is these really irritating muscle twitches. They can happen in my arms, back, legs, abdominal area, or wherever. They don't hurt, and they're very slight, so I'm not flailing or anything, but I ALWAYS notice them and they keep me from falling asleep.

The weird part is, the instant I start to drift off, the twitch happens. It's just one, and like I said, it could be anywhere. It doesn't happen during the day, when I'm active, and only when I'm at rest. There is no difference in my strength (I lift three times a week), reflexes, dexterity, etc. I have no fatigue (beyond not getting sleep) or any pain, and it's not really insomnia because like I said, I'm plenty tired. I just go to drift off, and some stupid little twitch snaps me back.

What the hell is this? And how do I make it stop?

Hi. Have you gotten your potassium & calcium checked?

another thing to consider is RLS (restless leg sydrome). it's quite the bother, and it keeps a lot of people from sleeping at night.

I just rcently have been experiencing the same thing. Have you gotten any answers to your problem yet

Sorry to reply to this post so late but I just saw it after I began "googling" for answers to my own problem, which sounds a lot like yours. I tend to have my issue with the same leg, in the same area, night after night. I will copy and paste a small excerpt from what I read, I think you will find it interesting and if you would like to read the article in it's entirety I will paste the web address below.

Blessings to you and I hope you find the answers that you are seeking.

-Barb-

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** copied content from other website *** Please read our Terms of Use

My calcium levels were checked and I was an 8. That is way deficient. I have twitches in my legs, butt, knees, and torso even. Muscle weakness too. I am trying to take massive levels of D3 and B12 prescribed by my Dr. It has been a month and still twitch at night and when still.

My neuro has diagnosed this problem, in me, as Periodic Limb Movement disorder, though like you, it can be in my stomach, shoulders, sometimes a single toe…unfortunately, there is very little that can be done. The medication they prescribe does not work well, and it has harsh side effects. You should have your iron levels checked, as there is sometimes a connection between brain iron, and this disorder. I did have severe anemia, which has been corrected…the jerking is not as profound as it was, but it is still there..just as I am about to doze off, they start!

I have had these twitches while trying to sleep for so many years. They are always in different muscles, but most are above my waist. I take Clonazepam at night, but I think it has stopped working. Last night, I was unable to ever drop off to sleep. Just wondering if you have found a treatment for these. Thank you.

I'm also having symtoms of muscle twitching all over the place when I relax or try to sleep it's been going on for a while and I'm starting to loose my mind I fear the worst that I have some kind of disease. I've been to my Dr like 10 times and to the neurologist. I can't sleep because of the muscle twitching and pain.