Dr has my grandson on 2000 mg s of depakote a day. His eyes look like chipmunks. I really feel like theyer trying to hurt my grandson. He is diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder

Hi Guest,

How old is your grandson and what is his approximate weight?

Are you sure he's taking 2000 mg day?  How long has he been doing this.

What EXACT type of Depakote is he taking, delayed release, sprinkle, etc?

SON IS TAKING 2000MG OF DEPAKOTE ER. HE IS APPROXIMATELY 140 LBS HE JUST STARTED ON IT 2WKS AGO.i AM FEARFUL OF SUCH A LARGE DOSE. ALSO TWO WKS AGO I HAD TO TAKE HIM TO HOSPITAL BECAUSE MENTAL HEALTH HOSPITAL GAVE HIM 2000MGS OF DEPAKOTE AND 9 MGS OF INVEGA EARLIER ONE DAY AND BEFORE HE LEFT THE HOSPITAL THAT NIGHT IN A POLICE VAN THEY GAVE HIM MORE. HE CAME IN SLOBBERING AT THE MOUTH AND THAT INSTANT I KNEW HE HAD TO MUCH . HIS EYE BALL COMPLETELY DISSAPEARED AND HE WAS NOT RESPONDING . IF WE WOULD HAVE LEFT HIM SLEEPING ALL THAT NIGHT OUR CHRISTMAS PRESENT WOULD HAVE BEEN A DEAD BODY. MY GRANDSON IS DIAGNOSED WITH SCHIZOAFFECTIVE DIS UNSPEC. HE GETS VERY ANGRY. HES ALWAYS BEEN A MANNERLY YOUNG MAN GROWING UP. THIS STARTED IN 2008 BUT SIGNS POINT TO AS FAR BACK AS 3YRS OLD HE WOULD SAY . I WOULD ALWAYS ASK WHO WAS HE TALKING ABOUT HE WOULD NEVER SAY. BUT HE WAS VERY INTELLIGENT AND MOST OF THE TIMES QUIET BECAUSE HE IS AN ONLY SON OUT OF 4 DAUGHTERS WE KEPT HIM WITH VIDEO GAMES.THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THEY OVERDOSED HIM. 2MONTHS BEFORE THIS INCIDENT. NOW I DONT TRUST THE MEDICINE AND IM FOR CERTAIN THEY WANTED TO PUT HIM DOWN LIKE AN ANIMAL. FOR THE SAKE OF THIS POST I'LL STOP TALKING BUT I AM TRAUMATIZED AT WHAT I SAW AND BELIEVED TO BE HAPPENNING THAT DAY ALL GLORY BE TO GOD. THEY WANT HIM TO TAKE IT EVERY DAY. BUT 10,000 MGS OF DEPAKOTE I BELIEVE WILL SURELY KILL HIS ORGANS OFF MAINLY KIDNEYS. I LOVE MY GRANDCHILDREN TO DEATH EVEN THOUGH HE IS GROWN 25YRS OLD.

It is a very high dose guest, especially if he's only been on it for 2 weeks. Usually they'd start lower and increase it. The initial dose is usually 750 ml/day and not to exceed 60mg/kg/day. 140 pounds is about 63kg so he's within that.

Get another doctor to evaluate him.