I understand that my doctor knew when and why to prescribe Oxycontin to me. I went to pharmacy and bought it for myself, as my doctor wanted. Since I like to check everything twice, I would like to know how I could be sure if I got medicine, which I wanted. Is there anyone who might tell me how Oxycontin looks like? I do not want to check consequences of taking wrong medicine.

Oxycodone is a pure agonist opioid, whose principal therapeutic action is analgesia. That is probably something you needed since your doctor prescribed you this medicine. Other members of the class known as opioid agonists include substances such as morphine, hydromorphone, fentanyl, and codeine. Pharmacological effects of opioid agonists include anxiolysis, euphoria, feelings of relaxation, and respiratory depression. Dose proportionality and bioavailability has been established for the 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, 80 mg, and 160 mg tablet strengths. Tablets of 10 mg are the smallest, white and rotund. You can see number 10 on one side, and sign OC on the other, which marks that is OxyContin for sure. One of 20 mgs is maybe just a little bigger, pink, with 20 and OC signs on each side. Next in line, 40 mgs tablets are brownish, and little bigger then previous, with written 40 and OC. Last two kinds are bigger, 80 mgs are green and 160 mg are noticeable bigger and blue.

I take the generic Oxycontin 40mg 3xday for cronic jaw pain that started in 1994....3 surgeries later was pain free for 6yrs.... In 2000 pain began with a vengence..... took a couple years and a few MRI's for anyone to believe me...... 2002 started with 10mg Oxycontins....now it is 2006 and I have osteoarthrisis of the left TMJ (all bone on Bone) I am now taking the 40mg 3x day....but I got my life back to a point and can work and eat somewhat normal again.....this is a blessed pill although I know oneday I will need rehab to get off them but I would rather chance rehab than put a replacement joint in my head that is known to break apart while inside a persons head...... bone on bone....... can you imagine this pain in your head 24/7/365?
Anyways...my 40's are generic and they are yellow oval with 93 on one side and 32 on the other (FYI)
you will get generic unless otherwise noted on script
generic for Oxycontin came out within this past year

-dependent on this drug...yes
-addicted to this drug..... not sure...I don't abuse them though like others

Have a good day from : a cronic pain sufferer who's quality of life improoved 75% from this drug

While I agree that Oxycontin is a great drug for those that have cronic pain, what really pisses me off are the doctors that prescibe it to patients and turn around and label them as junkies or think of us taking them as just drug seekers. I have been treated terribly in the emergency department only after the doc. learns that I'm taking 160mg. 3 times a day. This was prescribed to me from a PAIN specialist. My reason for the emerg. visit was for ASTHMA, I siad nothing of my pain or that I even was having pain, just breathing troubles. %-)

There are many different types as well as strenghts of oxycontin. Firstly, oxycontin comes in two different forms: a SR and an IR.
SR stands for 'sustained release' and the IR stands for 'Immediate release'
IR's are usually white, oval pills that come in 5, 10 and 20mg. These are not to be confused with oxycodone pills or supadol.
SR pills are colored coded. White round pills will be stamped with a 10 to indicate their milligram amount. Pink round pills are 20mgs, yellow round pills are 40mgs and a deep green round pill, larger than the other oxyconton pills, are 80mgs.

Please keep in mind oxycontin was taken off the market and was replaced with oxy-neo. From what I have been told there should be absolutely no difference in the two different pills other than nobody will be able to inject or snort the new pills. As long as you take these pills as prescribed you won't have any problem with them.

Persons who have never taken any narcotics, or very few, throughout their lifetime should never start out at more than 10mg dosage every 8 to 12 hours. NEVER CRUSH, CHEW or ingest these pills any other way than your doctor has told you to take them as the consequences may not be to your liking unless you have a death wish.