Hi, I have been on Suboxone for almost 5 years and I found out I was pregnant a couple months ago so my doctor switched me to Subutex. I take 12 mgs. a day (1 1/2 - 8 mg. tablets), but before I got pregnant I was only taking 8 mgs. of Suboxone but I started to feel like it was not enough and I think that was because of the baby so my doctor told me to take 4 mgs. more every day. I do feel physically better now that I take more, but I am so stressed out about being on it while I am pregnant! When I first found out I was pregnant, I was thinking maybe I should just try to get off, so I went online and did some research and found that it could cause miscarriage if I did that. I also read a lot of posts from women who have had babies on Subutex and they did not have any problems and their children are fine. Some women also claimed that they think the Subutex is better than the methadone as far as withdrawl goes, in their babies.

Still, I keep having anxiety about it! I tried many times before I was pregnant over 5 years to get off this stuff and I can never go through with it. I also was on Methadone for 2 years before that and withdrawled off of that and it was really bad for me, so bad I got back on heroin and then got on Suboxone. It is like never ending for me, I feel so hopeless sometimes! I live in Virginia and don't really have any friends to talk to about this stuff. My family and few friends that I have live hours away and do not know I am on it, they dealt with my addiction for so many years and I didn't want to upset them anymore so my husband and I pretend I am not on anything. My husband has never had an addiction so he does not always agree with the subs, but pretty much puts up with and pays for it so I can be well.

If there are any women out there in similar situations or are on Subs, please talk to me. I really could use some friends to talk to.

I wish that I had the answer to your question, but unfortunantly I am in the same boat! I know that you wrote this post quite a few months back so I dont even know if this will help now but I too am pregnant and on Subutex. I was on Suboxone 16mg before and now am on Subutex 12mg. The doc said that the subutex is safer than the Suboxone because it doesnt contain any other drug such as the naloxone in the Suboxone. I had a child previously while on methadone and he is fine now but did suffer some slight withdrawal symptoms when born. My doctor and I both felt like staying on the Subutex was better for my situation since the methadone failed me in the past but I stay stressed over the pregnancy too and worry a lot. Please let me know if you find out any helpful advice as I am 36 weeks now and past the developmental stages of pregnancy but would still like to know what to expect afterward.

last year 04-2007 i had a baby born to suboxone. i was taking it unprescribed. but correctly-i knew the risks accosiated with naloxone but coulnt stand the withdrawl.thank god i had a healthy 8lb baby apgar 9.9. i am now pg again 17wks since the birth of my first baby i went to a dr. n got on sub. the right way.he switched me to subutex about 3wks pg. i feel very comfortable w/the drug.

Are you all in the US? I keep reading online that Suboxone/Subutex aren't prescribed to PG women in the US. Are neonatal withdrawal symptoms as bad on Subutex as for methadone?
My son was born on methadone & it was a total nightmare. I was only on 60 mg yet my son had a seizure & was in the NICU one month. I had started out on 40mg but the methadone clinic kept encouraging me to up my dose more & more. Now I believe all they wanted was my $$.
I started detoxing pretty much as soon as I gave birth & walked off the clinic long ago but I am still taking 2-3 mg of methadone a day illegally, getting it from a friend. I was on 5mg pre-PG & the 3 mg decrease is as far as I've gotten & I'm almost 24 weeks now end of 2nd tri. But now I'm wondering if I could go on Subutex or whatever. What kind of doctor do you go to for Subutex?
Regards,
Mary

Regards,
Mary

I know you wrote this a long time ago but i live in pa in the us and i am 19 weeks pregnant and on subutex theyu have given it to preg woman for about 10 yr here in the us just so you know dont know the affects of it cause my first child was born on nothing but i guess we will see with this one ill let you know

Dear OneLife...

First, congratulations on your pregnancy!! I can help you with your situation. So, the BEST thing you did was switch from Suboxone to Subutex; the reason for that is the Naloxen in Suboxone is not good for the fetus.

Now, you have (2) choices, that ONLY you, your husband and your doctor can make:

1.) If you STAY on Subutex throughout your pregnancy, your baby has a very high risk of being born with some form of NAS (Infant Withdrawal Syndrome), which essentially means that he or she will be born in withdrawal and will need special care. This can range anywhere from a few days of extra coddling in the hospital to a seizure requiring medication.

(or)

2.) VERY SLOWLY, taper off of Subutex, with the directions from your doctor so your baby can be born with NO WITHDRAWAL AT ALL.

I am currently pregnant, I was on 16 mg of suboxone for a year and have switched to Subutex...I am currently in my 1st week of switching and I have already tapered down to 14mg...in about 2 mths, I will be completely free of the toxins and in 5 more months, I will have my baby with no withdrawal symptoms - that was my decision, it doesn't make it the "right" one for you, I just wanted to give you some helpful words.

Please let me know if you need to talk, I have done A TON of investigating on this subject and I am now more educated than I ever WANTED to be!! ...lol...

Below is a link, which DIRECTLY addresses your concerns, it will be quite helpful:

Just reply to this if you're still interested in talking to someone and I will give you my personal info.

All the Best!!!
-Jenn

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi OneLife, I'm curious to hear if you're still around on the forums. I know that you posted this almost two years ago now and I'm curious if you're still hanging around and have anything to add to the conversation. Come back if you're around and give us some insight if you have any to share! THanks :-)

OMG!!
Healthfitnessguy...i didn't realize her post was so old!! I just got really concerned when i saw how emotional she seemed...
Well, if nothing else, my info can help someone else in need.

babybaby1122 wrote:

OMG!!

I absolutely agree that your info should be able to help. IT is funny because it's hard to keep track of how old some of these possts are and it's easy to miss. :)

Hi guys, I live in Australia & I have just recently found out I am pregnant (5 weeks) and have been on Suboxone but tapering back for quite some time now. Recently my doc swapped me to Subutex (before i knew I was pregnant) because I wanted to go down into the points. I am down to an extremely low dose of 0.8 now but just can't seem to shake it. I'm scared my baby will have effects but my doc told me not to stop. I could easily stop now, knowing I'm pregnant but she has said not to... any suggestions?

I am also a majorly heavy smoker & have been cutting back on those since finding out I'm pregnant... but I'm finding it really hard to quit. Do you know if quitting smoking altogether harms the baby more than not stopping?

Thanks heaps... appreciate any replys.

Edithhead wrote:

Regards,
Mary

:?

I live in NY and am currently taking 16mg of subutex everyday and I am currently 39wks pregnant. I have a child who is 15months old a little boy who was born addicted to methadone which I took illegally during my pregnancy. C.P.S. got involved and took my son right from the hospital and he was placed in his grandparent's care until recently. My son is now back in my care and I have been in a program called Family Treatment Court since my son was born. I was placed in outpatient treatment about 13 months ago (I've since completed it) where I was introduced to the suboxone program. I have been on it for about a year and it has been very beneficial for my recovery.I found out I was pregnant about 7 months ago and I was very weary about being on medication during this pregnancy due to the fact that my son went through horrible withdrawl from methadone. I did not want my 2nd child to have to suffer because I am an addict. But the fact of the matter is, this pregnancy was not planned and I AM an addict. About two months ago my docter switched me to subutex(from suboxone) which is much safer than suboxone for the unborn. My daughter will be born in a week and my docter said the withdrawl for my daughter will be minor to none. Much less than that of methadone. Unfortunately I was unable to ween myself off of the subutex during my pregnancy.(there is a window period where one can do so.) Plus I do not feel that I am strong enough of stable enough in my recovery to do so. Caring for children is tough, and I know that I am not ready to be off of the medication, Which is okay. But to answer ur question...there are certain doctors that can prescribe subutex and suboxone. They have to take a class and become certified in order to prescibe it and it is usually prescribed from a docter at a medical clinic or a chemical dependency clinic. Check with your local treatment facility. But just to warn you, there is usually a pretty long waiting list. Best of luck. i hope this was in some way helpful.
-Jaralyneve

hi to all,i'm pregnant in my 35 weeks now and i was doing some searching on subutex and it's impact to new borns,when i read ur reviews.
i've been takin subutex for almost 3years now,and decrease from 10mg to 1.5mg.
but since u had ur babies i was wondering if u can share with me ur experience after birth,how r u doing now,r u feeling any of the withdraw symptems?and hows the babys? did they hace the withdraw symptems,or they were born fine withv no symptems whatsoever?!
i really need to know cuz i'm worried about my baby specially since we don't have any experience or knowledge about my case here in lebanon! they don't know "here" how to treat a baby that his mom was on sub,and is it safe for me to breastfeed him if i manage to stay on 1mg? or i have to quid 4 good i wanna brestfeed?
waiting 4 any answer that culd help me.
thx..

All of these posts, though older, have been a help to me. I am currently 16 wks. PG and was switched over to subutex from suboxone at 8 wks. along. I have had to have my dosage increased from 6 mg to 8 mg. I have been talking with my husband on whether I should try to taper off or if it would harm the baby more tahn help. I have an OB/GYN appt in a wk and will talk to her about what is best for the baby.
What is bothering me the most is that because of my opiate addiction, I may or may not have a baby that is born withdrawing. Why should my past screw ups affect this precious child? I guess I have a lot of guilt and when I have talked to my drs. about it, they just tell me that if I breast-feed it will help the baby's withdrawing. Like that just solves that! I wish there were more posts from mom's who have had babies born while still on subutex. I could get a better feel for the odds of my son/daughter withdrawing.

hello, looking for some advice. I was on suboxone for years. My psych switched me to methadone due to the high cost of suboxone. I am currently nine weeks pregnant and things aren't going good. I have to now take the metadone every four hours due to pain and withdrawel feelings. This is probably about 60 to 70mg a day. I also take ativan 1mg four times a day and seem to be increasing that as well. I have not told my ob about what meds I'm on yet. Scared too. My psych wants to keep me on methadone and I disagree. I am also very sick puking 10 to 15 x a day ob is aware of that and says it's hyperemesis grav. I need advice and am thinking I want to switch to subutex. I was originally on suboxone for vic addiction. I have never done heroin and don't have that temptation at danger if I go off methadone. If any one has any insight please reply. I also do not want my child to go through withdrawels. Thanks katie