Please do not believe this, if you start taking enough of any kind of opiate you will be starting from ground 1 because they are all very very adictive. Depending on how much you take and how long. But I did do morphine for the first 5 DAYS after I quit the programn off of 10 mgs of methadone. Here is my story.; It has been 6 days since i quit the program, I found that being on this rollercoaster for 7 or so years is enough for me. Here is my story, I ended up in the methadone clinic in 2004 I went up to 120 mgs, began losing my carries, i went within a month to 60 mgs then dropped cold turkey, the dr said "you will be back" and she got the last laugh when i came crawling on my hands and knees back to the clinic. Yes i felt like c**p for months, lost 30 pounds, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, i went back but vowed to keep at a low dose 40 mgs. WHAT WORKED FOR ME WAS: i would take the 40 and split it in half so i was just on really 20 mg, and throw out the rest. I found out that once i was in control i had the power or if i was to be sick i had the other half, i felt great. Big drops do take a couple of days to get used to but have plenty of rest and plent of activities to keep your mind focused. I will explain to you later that 75% of all this bollucks is psychological. At this time I worked out every day, I meditated and started reading a lot about Buddhaism, Taoism and read and listened to Deepak Chopra, Dr. Wayne Dyer., a good book called the power of NOW and so on. So Then I dropped to 30 mgs, wherby taking half would be 15. i was fine (i did feel like c**p but i began to realize that there was no difference of being on 60 or 15. the same symptoms i could eat, sleep, weight gain and profuse sweating, etc. so i convince myself that methadone is still in my body therefore i am not in withdrawal. Mind you I remember being back at 45 mgs of methadone and dropping 1 mg per week and i could not manage it. So how do i have the ability to drop so drastically because it is either all in the mind or i had the power not them. So I went down to 20 mgs but was taking 10 mgs when i went from 10 mgs to 5 mgs At that time I began to feel withdrawal awful so i decided that I would wait until the end of the week and drop cold turkey. Fri Oct 30 was my last day on methadone. What i did for the next 5 days was on morphine to mask the worst of it, Despite being on morphine which I might add that I was really responsible with dosages and weaning. My last day on morphine it did not break through, I felt like my spine was in a vice grip, and I had a pins and needles sensation on my skin at night. I was still eating, still sleeping (I am still on clonidine, seroquel and Trazadone for sleep due to having a sleeping disorder not associated with methadone.) and what may seem unconventional to people at first was that i decided i would use ketamine for 3 days after reading about in on-line. In the past i have ordered $1000 worth of what they told me was Ibogaine Hcl. and as reliable as the internet is it didn't work, I tried GHB that i read from some publication study also didn't help. So I read about the K and let me tell you, yesterday
I cleaned the whole house, worked out, made dinner, although i was drenched and still getting hot and cold sweats I could do it. Today I woke up it was suppost to be the 2nd day with K and i decided not to use. I feel great. I am not super woman or anything I do feel fatigued, lack of motivation, etc. but i feel a hell of a lot differnt then with my last methadone experience. Other vital vitamins and minerals you need due to methadone depleting all of them as well as your opiate, dopamine, seretonin receptors is : 5HTP, Tyrosine, Amino Acids, Omega 3, 6, 9 fish/flax oil, acai berry, melatonin, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, a protein shake I chose Whey ISO Burst and maybe a liver and colon cleanse which i have but have not used. I have not had diarrhea, but if you do you must take Imodium to keep these vitamins in and drink lots and lots of fluid, tea, cup of soup with crackers and even boost or ensure or pediolyte. if you can't eat. It is imperative that you must start working out everyday as soon as you are ready and you will have to drag your but out of bed to do so but remember our cells are changing every second of every day and before long you will be new again. And the most amazing part about the journey that will inspire new thoughts and change not only your withdrwal experience but your intire life is meditation, which i have already mentioned. You just have to be at that point where enough is enough. I was so sick of living my life with liquid handcuffs, so DONE. The methadone clinic for me even if i turn up worst in the weeks to come, is not an option. Until you have had it, you won't succeed. If you are thinking maybe i'll go back....-you will be going back. Clear your mind=heal your body. If I can do it anybody can. Good luck to you. Feel free to e-mail me if you just want to talk some more about this.

I'm really glad to hear how things went for you and it sounds like it was really successful in quitting. What inspired you to write this? Do you think that if you had gotten this advice back when you were using that you would have been encouraged to quit?

as I too am now struggling with the 1mg a week method needless to say it is most difficult,and YOU are the absolute ONE i needed to hear from. i am going to follow your advice. I am not on a program,but i made a choice to stay on this due to injury,fear and the whole gamut of reasons you already know and now it is FINALLY ENOGH. it takes time to get to this place and now im here and i thank you because you are the catalst i needed at this very moment. i was looking at detoxes and 7,000 dollar sedation technique,and thats more fear,whenI really know I can and is being done in a real way by you and now me. thank you please write more on youre progress supriya

I am not going to tell you tonight, my story of addiction because, well, I don't have one. But, the reason I wrote today is for my boyfriend. For the sake of not saying boyfriend every other sentence, his name is Alon. He is 29 years old, and his story of addiction is the reason for my email.

Alon's brother who is 15 years older than him was involved with drugs since childhood. He used Alon as a delivery boy for Heroin for a while, when Alon was only about 12 or 13 years old. Child's curiosity obviously took hold, and he tried the product he was delivering. At about 14 or so, Alon found himself enamored with Heroin, it solved his anxiety problems, and took away his need for...well anything...because, from what he's told me, it makes you feel like you are on top of the world. One of the best feelings imaginable. He slowly began to take bits from his brother, and soon, when he realized it was something he wanted to become heavily involved with, he found his own connection. From that point in time, he became addicted, initially snorting it, but then eventually shooting it. He remained functional for the most part, and obtained a job on Wall Street, as a computer programmer, at the age of 17. He is truly brilliant. He confided to his high school counselor that he was taking drugs and she asked if he had ever contemplated suicide. Since she told him that he could confide in her, he admitted that he had felt feelings of suicide before, but that everyone in the world, in his opinion has had those feelings at one point or another. She immediately had him signed into a Rehab facility, and Alon lost all of this faith and truth in people soon afterwards.

I'm not 100 percent sure of the happenings during rehab, but when he got out, he started using again. Eventually, and again, I'm not quite sure how, he was put on Methodone, or Methodose (which I think has calcium in it)

Anyways, since that time, around 1999 or 2000 he has been on Methodone. He started his dose at I think about 200 mg. And since has slowly come down to 5 mg. But obviously, since the late 90's He has been on the substance, and has developed what I will call more than a dependency, but a true NEEED for it.

I started dating him last May, knowing full well what his situation was, and at that point he was on 25mg. He and I have made the decision to get him off of Methodone for good this coming december. I have a month off from school and am going to be moving in with him to help him out.

Like i said, he is now on 5 mg and is going to be detoxing. I am scared and worried about the situation, but feel that I am up to the challenge of being there to support him.

He is not only scared, but terrified of coming off, but is going to take the plunge.

Now, I am writing to you to beg you for some kind of advice. He would kill me if he knew i just confessed his story , I am quite frankly, very innocent and naiive when it comes to the world of drugs, and no NOTHING about what he is going through and will be going through other than what he has told me. I beg you, if you have any advice for me, or for him as a result of your experience with Meth, as to how I can help him get through this awful withdrawal. Or any advice for him to improve his mental or physical state I beg you to share it with me.

I am ready for the pain and the vomiting and the increased sex drive and the need for me to cook healthy food for him, and to make him exercize, and all that stuff, but I do not know how to help him with the anxiety or the other more severe and prolonged symptoms, or what to say or what to do. Clearly I am lost, and at this point desperate as the time draws nearer.

I look forward to hearing from you more than you will ever know possible, and thank you from the bottom of my heart, if you even just take the time to read this long rambling post

Please help me help Alon's life be good too.

Thank you so much
And happy holidays.

I;m considered a big tough man and I am crying my eyes out. Not bad tears, the love on the last few posts is amazing. Anyway, How do you help? Know that you already are and take care of yourself. I think the anxiety is worse becuase at that time I reall y want to take anything. During depression i would think about it but couldnt move. The most simple and best advice is when he tells you whats going on listen, you cant fix it only mend it, and try ditractions, go easy on the food. Water, small amounts. Best wishes.

unfortunately, I am not proud to say that I am back on methadone after 2 years . This is the most god awful drug man made I feel impossible to stop. My husband was pissed off, but i made clear, defined goals which i am following, i cant explain to people how hurtin and c**p i felt every single day, that dont know my situation and I found most of them to stigmatize any ways. Then I was diagnosed with fibromayalgia, 2 misplaced parts of my spine and a severe fracture, where i received opiates, percocets if i went to walk ins every day and finally codeine (doctor stigmatizing a legitamite problem, then again he is probably right. I tell you, I thought since I lost my job and my husband could provide during my recovery, what is enough, 2 weeks, 2 months, etc. fine I willl take that, but 2 YEARS after seeing sports medicine, and naturopath doctors, I felt like the most pathetic wife, not being able to do simple things, drinking all the time, almost killed my relationships, So now i am back on 60 mgs. Got my license (i was terrified to drive), sleep got worse, i can deal without food but sleep is imperative to have the luxury of, depression, anxiety got worse. I kind of wish i could persevere, but I really want to go to a REAL Ibogaine clinic. Please look on you tube under ibogaine in the news and Ibogaine - rite of passage, and also on google look under ketamine and opiate withdrawal, there are clinic trials of both. I feel so bad after all the emotional and congratulation comments, I really do. I thought i could make it, And i may have had i had the strength to persevere, but the fibromyalgia left me on my back, so maybe i was confusing the pain and discomfort for withdrawal, I hope and i hope one day i hope to keep trying to beat this nasty drug. What inspired my to write that is it worked for me in the beginning even though every day and hour i was stuck between 4 walls, gave up meditating, gave up working out and gave up on myself. I only sincerely wanted to help others that of course the powers that be would never be announcing such unorthedox treatment?. As per the other ones boyfriend, maybe watch these videos and documents I have researched and share it with him. Most addicts of methadone will feel great about alternatives. It wont feel so pushy, It would seem as if you care. Dont push him, people have to come to the conclusion themselves. You don't know how painful and sickly you feel without and i am fortunate to not have any responsibilities or children....etc when i quit, it was just all the guilt that i couldn't take care of my husband and i have always been the housewife type. I felt useless and terrified he would think that too. No excuses though. Sorry I couldn't come up with aanything more positive to tell you. and I hope my honesty makes up for that. All the best to you all. Please post anything that works or worked for someone you love. I guess this is why they say 99.9% chance of failure. But all we can do is try to overcome this pathetic drug that if i would have known all this before I began, I swear I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole, I have detoxed from all opiates, and felt like c**p for a bit, not this one. Also I have asked many heroin addicts (which i personally would not know) but they say, although more intense withdrawals, it is a shorter period of time and really a walk in the park. Also I have even wrote ti Intervention regarding myself, not that I would ever want to expose my problems but I think I need 3 months or more of intensive treatment in a far away place that would teach me the skills I need, and lots of activities to get my mind off of it. 21 day programs for me (didn't work) and I can't afford 60-90,000$ for intensive treatment. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I'm so encouraged to hear all this. I have had enough as well and so I'm weaning off Suboxone and now I find that so much of this is keeping yourself busy and inspired. Thank you for your courage and strength.

At the rate I'm going I'll be off in 3 months.

Hope to hear more from you.

Sincerely

it is good to have a support system feel free to email me any time you want.

I have been on methadone for a year now, the last half at 100 mg. I am tired of chasing the carrot around the track. Not to mention the incessant insults from the staff at the clinic adding to the injury of it all. So I found this thread googling how to possibly take myself off methadone by switching back to hydrocodones and then kicking that (which I am more familiar with). I have even kicked heroin twice cold turkey, but the horror stories I have been reading of those unfortunate souls quitting methadone cold turkey quite frankly have me shaking in my boots. I want to trade this big scary a$d gorilla back for the much smaller, easier to handle monkey that I know I can fling off my back easier. HB906, your story got me to reply, whereas otherwise I've been scanning these threads for weeks now in complete radio silence- unsure that I could even get a straight answer back from people who were just as in the dark as I am right now... all scared to death of even looking for the light switch! You have actually done your homework here, and basically mapped out the journey. You've been there. That being said, I get two takehomes ( 200 mg.) per week to cache as I see fit right now, and can also get my hands on about 60 percocets a month... how long and much should I save up before I can just blow the clinic off for good? I understand there will still be a couple uncomfortable weeks in store for me - but I'm not with all that non-stop vomiting and seizing until my heart threatens to stop ( I'm 40) bs that I keep hearing from the other crazies who have attempted this cold turkey... Thanx!

vitamin C 30 to 50 grams per day not mg but grams in about 12 hours he will feel better, i kicked methadone after 9 years

To all of us....this Feb i made 10 years of being on methadone/methadose (i dont see the difference). I DONT want to make 11 years. prior to that 5 yrs of heroin use. a little background...1996, had everything going for me, good job, nice car, no kids, lived on my own, single, beautiful and knew it. i was living the life! Then i got sick. I was in extreme stomach pain constantly, hospitalized 3 times w/no diagnosis. They were giving me vicodin for the pain. I was only 24 yrs old, naive to addiction. Anyway, ended up having surgery (never really found out what the real problem was besides that my appendix had burst and i was walking around for months with that poison in my body). After the surgery, pain was gone..so i thought. I started to have withdrawals from the vicodin since at this point i had been taking it for at least a year. Put that together with the wrong crowd who was mixed up using heroin and there ya go. I found it easier and cheaper to use the heroin than to doctor shop. Back to the present, I was going to the clinic and started to come down 1 mg per week till i reached 11mg from 50 mg. Like most people, i was a panicker about being sick, but it seemed to work for me. But i just cant seem to let it go. im still taking methadone but just little bits off of a wafer when i start to feel sick, the worst part is im a single parent whose looking for a job and worried about the drug test, since im no longer at a clinic to verify if they test for methadone. How long generally does methadone stay in your body? When i started to come down, i started taking a multi-vitamin, Vit. C, Vit B12 (which by the way does really work with giving you energy!), drinking lots of water, and making sure i eat. But, i still have extreme back pain, cant sleep without a xanax, take Celexa for depression, and get occasional anxiety attacks.

Im trying to start a new life. I want a better life for my 5yr old son. so my son and I have moved back with my parents, which is a much better area to raise a child. My plan is to get a good paying job so i can get an apartment and have a good life. Even though i dont suggest methadone maintainance for anyone, i wil always believe it saved my LIFE!!!! But i dont and cant be on this s**t forever. Y'all know LIQUID HANDCUFFS..CHAINS....BARS....the whole "what the heck did i get myself into!!!" feelings. I wanna be done sooooo bad. i just dont know how to take that last step. I do pray, all the time, but any suggestions that might help would be extremely appreciated and taken seriously. ANYBODY!!

I am too coming off of methadone.

I have too given up all the nice things in my life due to using opiodes. The last time i quit, i was sober for 7 months. The differance with then and now is that i was in jail for over a month during the withdrawal. I had no option but to quit. I started taking methadone because i wanted to feel normal, but wasnt ready to face coming off. Im at 50mgs taking only half a day. I am having some symptoms like runny nose and some lack of motivation but im not going crazy or restless. I think those are the worst symptoms of coming down. My feelings of coming off methadone are that imscared, but also excitement. I know its tough, because before turning to methadone, i tried to quit, and got through 6 days. But on the 7th day i had enough and used. I wasnt srong enough. What im doing different this time is preparing and getting my mind ready for the come down. You can do it! You have to look at quiting one day at a time. My goal is to do better than the last time i tried. That goal is to not give into temptation and to never touch a drug ever again. Do it for you, your mind is capable of doing anything.

Hey Highballer,
I truly enjoyed your post. All the books you mentioned, I have read and love them dearly! Also, I'll be taking many of the same supplements too! So the last day I dose will be the 17th... Here in a few days. I'm going to stay with my mom and I have all my ducks in a row. I just thought I would tell you that I really enjoyed your post!!

what can i say, i am at present down to 15 mil of meth per day, i also have a drink problem, my doctor wants me to do a detox off the meth and drink at the same time over 7 days then go directly into rehab, for 12 weeks, the steps. i tell them it will be too much, they tell me the librium they will give me over the 7 days will "mop up" the turkey of the meth . i have been on m. for 14 years. i am over 50. what is your opinion?