Quote:

My 10 yr old Grandson has been on Concerta for about a year and a half he was just increased about 2 or 3 months ago to 54MG and he has no appetite at all! I know that this drug has a product in it simular to diet pills like amphetimine but called something else, so how can this pill be good for the child or anyone for that matter. If he goes off the pill for a few days, he eats like a animal, he can't get enough, he's so depleted from not eating when hes on the concerta. My daughter doesn't want to hear any of this, she just likes how it calms him down but it makes him so moody, and with no appetite. Not to mention he gets very quiet and. Concerta might work for these kids but there suffering not us!!! Not to mention he has a hard time sleeping unless he takes the pill at 6:00 AM, and in the summer thats not possible. Help me Out !!!!!! T-Ann

I took Ritalin for 8 years in elementary school (both are methylphenidate, they are just different brand names.

I am now 21, and a recreational drug user.

This is relevant for 2 reasons, as I have just started taking Concerta for school.

Firstly, I spend far less time 'drugged' now then when I was growing up.

Secondly, I smoke marijuana pretty much every and have done so for the last 4 years. I have learned that this is common with people who were heavily medicated with methylphenidate as a child. More so , I feel much more drugged while on Concerta than after smoking marijuana.

To this day I find it very difficult and painful to deal with memories of my childhood on methylphenidate.

I say this with the utmost sincerity and gravity.

IF YOU LOVE YOUR GRANDSON. TAKE HIM OFF 54MG CONCERTA.

There are other options, such as physical discipline.

If your grandson is using Concerta because your daughter feels it is easier to deal with him, she is a horrible and selfish person. By keeping him on this drug, you are causing him permanent psychological trauma and likely developmental damage.

If you would to talk with me more, please get in touch with me.

I don't want to post my email for fear of spam, however I already get alot of spam and this is a very important issue for me.

you an reach me at:

Please state that it is regarding concerta in the subject.

If you don't get a reply please keep trying

Sincerely,
Dan Green

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I'm currently 21 and I've been on every adhd medication under the sun that has been proven to not have horrible side affects. Concerta I've felt is one of the better ones and I'm currently on it. Since my mom works in a hospital we ever never short on information about the medications even the stuff that was still in questionable content. I was also on Ritalin and as well as impipramine which might be your solution but don't act yet. If he's not eating on concerta what they did for me when I was on ritalin was nurtion drinks, protein shakes. Especially the homemade natural kinds with fruits were my favorite. Concerta makes your mouth dry so he'll be compelled to drink it. He also might want to lower his intake. If 54mg is to much maybe get one bottle of 18 mg and one bottle of 27 mg. That'll total 45 which is a little lower and would help. I'm planning on doing something like that when I get back home. I use to do it with ritalin and it did work for a bit before my body just outgrew the drug completely. I don't know where he was before so I can't say whats the best course but so far you can get 18 mg, 27 mg, 36 mg, and 54 mg. Also with smaller doses it'll ease off sooner and he'll be able to eat around 6:30 and sleep. If he doesn't sleep warm milk does counteract it. Also if it makes him moody alot of times thats caused by inactivity, try to get in active a little more. I go to the gym 4 times a week and as well as lifting my depression it keeps the moody part away. I don't think its right to medicate him just because he's easier to deal with. I got that alot as a kid, I had the worst case of ADHD my school had scene as well as a sadistic streak. So I know how it feels to be medicated just for convince. I was once not allowed back if I didnt have a certain amount of ritalin in my system each day. But if your still not liking the whole Concerta idea try Impipramine. I was on it for over 2 years and would still be on it if it wasnt for the fact I can't remember to take a pill every morning. It's a blood streaming release pill with means it takes two weeks to build up in the blood stream and doesnt have any of these side effects, or atleast on me they didn't. It just takes longer to get the full result and you have to take the pill every day or else the amount in your blood goes down a certain level and you dont get the maximum results. Or you could do what I did for years. Try meditation, yoga, nature walks helps. I trained myself to concentrate to a just below normal level. Some people it doesnt work. But giving it a try won't hurt. I only stopped and took the short route (meds) was when I became a senior in college. To much work not enough time. Also being enrolled in material arts helped me a ton. It focused me and actually helped me not to drink and get drunk in later years. You get so use to being in control of your surroundings and always aware, feeling it leave is horrid.

Sorry this is so long and I know your post was over a year ago but I do hope this helps. -F  

Are you seriously claiming that Concerta is responsible for your problems and ignoring the real cause that you were getting high on marijuana for 4 years of your life? That's ridiculous. That's like me taking vitamins every morning and drinking alcohol, then blaming the vitamins for making me drunk. Ridiculous man, ridiculous. You must of been high the moment you made this post, Concerta is suppose to make you concentrate, Marijuana has the opposite effect, what a dumb ass...

1st of all please get an education.
You must be joking. You can't seriously blame you using Amphetamines for a given condition on you being a recreational drug user today.

You use drugs because you want to. You get higher on Concerta you say than on marijuana? Yes, that is because you've smoked so much weed that you need more than you needed the first time you smoked. Its called tolerance and the same happens with many drugs on receptors that get stimulated.

I can see you posting a few months from now saying you are now using heroin because of Concerta and Ritalin. Do you know why marijuana is called a "gateway" drug?

Also, don't blame your mistakes and misbehavior on others. We may not be raised the perfect way but it is up to our selves to choose what friends we make and what actions we take.

btw, I'm not against the use of marijuana for medical purposes.

It's common knowledge that those amfetamines f**k kids up real hardtime. Teach your kids how to be a hard-drug user and you will have them there for the rest of their lives!

These fools are not doctors and they do not understand the medications they are so biased about. If your child really has ADHD or ADHD-Pi as myself has, you can save them years of inner torment and constant undercachievement and do this knowing that children with ADHD have a much higher chance or having a comorbid disorder such as depression or anxiety and or possibly leading to substance abuse. I am taking concerta now and I am just turning 25 and I wish I had been diagnosed early luike most hyperactive kids. If your daughter is only medicated to "quiet him down" and they do not suffer from ADHD then that's not right.

Stimulant medications work differently on the ADHD brain than the average person. Medication which is properly dosed is safe to give a young person, and for someone wiht a permanant disability such as ADHD it can be a tool for which they would feel helpless and in despair without. When he is in highschool and college when the work actually takes some effort you don't want him to be handicapped by an attentino defecit brain. Trust me, those years were hard and I am only a second year university student now and I'm already 24. I was in and out of university for bad grades, losing money every semester from loans and not even passing courses.

You're right in your post when you say that concerta is similar to amphetamines, those responding who claim that it is an amphetamine is wrong and please dont' take advice from people who so clearly are in the dark about what they speak of. Amphetamines stimulate the release of neurotranmitters dopamine and epinephrine, methylphenidate, the acyive ingrediant in concerta (notice the lack of the word amphetamine in the name) merely blocks the reuptake of these neurotransmitters when they are released naturally. If you're taking modest doses of this and have ADHD it will not make you feel high as the cannabis user claimes he experiences.

The man above that was talking about his drug addicted was telling you that taking these medicines dailing can f*uck you up mentally, which is true because people can depend ON ANYTHING if they take it too much. He is not using drugs or weed because of the adderall, but he developed a tolerance to it and now needs it hun it can happen to anybody. Even you asponishing son who apparently has powers against drug addiction. And all the man said was get him off the 54mg, not adderall in general. just putting this out there because i saw this post and felt bad for the guy.

Concerta does nothing for me. It feels like super caffeine and kills my appetite. I am also on straterra, prozac, and metformin. Straterra worked great for a few weeks and then I started losing things, being distracted, ect. I told my doctor I didn't think it was doing anything and he just raised my dosage from 27 to 36. I can feel the difference in the caffeine, diet aide, and it helps you stay awake. However, it does nothing for the ADD and those are side effects that are commonly abused. I know people that take concerta in multiple doses to cram once a week and stay awake for a few days and wonder why they are always tired. I do not do this because I know it will not help me in the long run. I often wonder in twenty or fifty years are they going to look back at us and shake fingers because we play so much with brain chemistry. I take three drugs that affect nuero-receptors.... I then wonder if it is normal and when will I know what normal feels like. I am kind of nuerotic some times but I think that comes with depression. Anyway I know the prozac straterra thing is an interaction and I am switching doctors so I can be on Wellbutrin and maybe a stimulate

I am 20 years old and have been taking 54mg concerta for two months now. It is a very strong medication which should not be used unless nesiccary If you think your grandson does not need the medication then talk to the mother in a calm manner about it and if you dont properly understand adhd then it would be a very good idea to go to the Psychiatrist your grandson should be going to (if for whatever reason he is not strongly insist that your daughter send him to regular therapy it can be expensive I know but it is worth it). Also remember it is fine if you dont understand what your grandson is going through thats what the doctor is there for to explain things if he prescribed the medication to your grandson he should easily be able to explain how it is improving the live of you grandson (if the doctor cant your grandson should stop taking the medication and find a new doctor who can properly evaluate adhd which any Psychiatrist technically should). The fda has approved the medication for up to 72mg in adults and 54mg in children (So he is taking the highest dose). It has been shown to improve the life of people with adhd if the symptoms can be controlled with out medication they should be because all medication hurts you with side effects so all medication should be evaluated individually if his life is better despite the side effects then the medication helps your grandson not just your daughter. I have a 10 year old nephew that also has adhd and takes concerta 18mg it helps him tremendously. In the end the helpfulness of the medication should be evaluated by the doctor to see if the medication is right for your grandson which is why it would be beneficial if you talked to the doctor. So you understand his reason for rec-amending and prescribing the medication to your grandson.

Sorry I rambled so much I hope this helps. Concerta helps me allot but it is not for everyone, but from what I read in your post most of your problems could be fixed just by talking to your grandsons doctor. My parents hated it and were worried about me when i started taking concerta so I took them to my psychiatrist who explained everything to them it was very helpful for them and me.

successful troll is successful

Of coarse he cant eat or sleep you have a ten year old boy taking a pill that has a high enough dosage to work on a full grown adult. Give him a smaller dosage you id**t.

I can't stand stupid people. I have an 8 yr old with ADHD and for 7 years looked into every solution possible aside from medicating him. Nothing worked. He was becoming depressed, not at grade level in school and suicidal. Finally started him on Concerta, he is doing fantastic in school, has high self esteem and is happy. Some parents medicated children that don't need it, or don't work with the doctor to adjust high doses of medication. That's wrong, but just because some parents are wrong doesn't mean all of us are.

"CONCERTA"

Dearest Dan,

Appreciate the post very hurtful & helpful. I would love to hear your story on traumatization from concerta/ritalin as my 8 year old nephew whom i havent seen since may of 2010 after we experienced & lived through the great may22nd tornado that ripped through joplin tonite. very different kid now!!! yes he was out of control for the most part but what kid isnt i have 5 of my own children who of course get outta sorts but even my eldest son who made me hold him down by laying him down & squatting over him & just loving him for up to 10 hours before & people told me oh he needs meds & i said no way. my nephew was playing a lot more less playful than usual & by the time they were geared to go home he had a low grade fever looked sick to his tummy, not sure how much he ate, i checked his pulse @ 116 bpm pupals dialated & completely out of it. i asked him how hr felt he said not so good, asked about his meds he said he just started 18mg today transferred from 25 mg of stretera i believe which even my sister will say made him extremely loopy. not sure this is any better. would love to hear from you. i hope that all is well w you. Take care.

Cheers,

Dell

"NO MORE PRESCRIPTIONS 4 KIDS; IT'S POPULATION CONTROL! P.S. ALL KIDS ALMOST RESPOND TO OMEGA 3 IN CAPSULE FORM 1 TIME A DAY. THEY MAKE COOKIES CRACKERS ETC... AND IF THEY ARE TOO YOUNG TO TAKE A PILL BUST IT OPEN (PIN HOLE) SQUIRT LIQUID IN SMALL SHOT GLASS SIZE DRINK HAVE EM DOWN IT LIKE LIQUID MEDS FOLLOW W A DRINK... YOU WILL BE SUPRISED. $1 AT DOLLAR STORE $2-$3 @ MOST. WE NEED OUR KIDS AND THEY NEED US. THIS WORLD IS UGLY I FIGURE ONE ACT OF RANDOM KINDNESS @ A TIME SHOULD BE SUFFICE IFR WE ALL CHIP IN. THANKS FOR HEAING ME OUT. BEST LUCK TO ALL THAT SUFFER THE UNKNOWN. LOVE LIGHT & LAUGHTER IS ALL WE NEED & WE'LL BEAT EM ALL. LOL!