My grandson is 16 and overweight. He has been over weight for about 4 years now. His mother is trying  & starting to make better choices for her and the family which is great but when he comes over to my house he knows that I have some junk food. I try to hid it but he finds it. I do buy him some healthy foods too but he always wants junk cause he isn't home where his mother & step dad don't see him eating this junk food. It is only me & my husband here and I love my junk food. How can I  get my grandson to work with me on his health ?  He is working on it with his mother but thinks he can get away with it at my house.

dejolane

Your just going to have to put your foot down and say no you may not have any junk food. Take it away from him when he finds it. Now also dont make it like a forbidden fruit because he will splurge on junk food everytime he can get any instead of eating it more responsibly. If he eats healthy all week a small bowl of ice cream or chips is not going to kill all his progress from the week. Does he work out or play any sports or anything to help lose the excess weight he has put on? If not it wouldn't be a bad idea to join a family gym like ymca and all work out together because diet alone will not help in losing weight. If he is at your house and has a piece of pie after dinner take a walk around your neighborhood. Good Luck

He lives in front of a golf course and is allowed by them to walk the golf course when noone is on it. His mom and him walk the schools track also. I live in a small town where we can walk to the center of town. Walking is a good way to lose weight and have a grandma to grandson talk. He is also doing home schooling this year because he was being bullied cause of his weight. He is doing great with ECOT. DEJOLANE

Its great he is out walking and the whole family is supporting him. Im sorry he has to be home schooled because of bulling. If you keep him from ever having any junk food he will stuff himself with it when he gets it so finding a happy middle will work best for him. Talk to him about him only wanting junk at your house and why he doesn't want to make better choices. It may be all you need for him to start eating better at your house. Keep things like an apple slicer handy to cut an apple quick and easy for a snack instead of just grabbing a bowl of chips. Keep cut up celery and carrots in the fridge so all he has to do is grab them out and put his favorite topping on it like ranch etc. I know keeping things in my house that are quick and easy help my son choose better and he will take apple slices over chocolate bars every time. Good Luck and I hope he can get on track to have a happier and healthier life

Thanks Heather. We went grocery shopping together today and he did pick up apples and oranges and bananas melons cauliflower celery carrots instead of cookies. Shocking ! I don't want to harp on his weight to him and I know he knows, he has to lose weight too. So I think he will do great. I know his mom has stopped buying pop so when he is out with me I will treat him to a Mt Dew once in awhile. His mom says NO SUGAR'' but I don't really listen. You can't live without pop.

dejolane

I think mom is right.... No sugar is much much healthier and easier for his body than occasional sugar treats that play havoc with his insulin levels and trigger again and again the "addiction" ... Maybe you can't live without it (that is obvious if you are on junk food which is full of processed sugar) but don't force others to do the same. Processed sugar is a huge addiction, and the kid is much better without it. You are doing a great job by supporting healthy habits, veggs and everything, but I think you should do what his mother says. There is totally enough sugar in fruit - in its natural form - glucose and fructose - especially in bananas and melons :) Listen to his mother!!!! You will do this kid a favous. Please listen to his mother. Good luck with your new habits :)

I have been listening to my daughter. I don't buy 'special things' just because he is staying the night. We go to the store for him and he does pick out things his mother would want him too eat. I';m glad he is doing healthy choices.

Debbie

What stuck out for me is that you love your junk food. How are you going to influence him not to eat it when you not only indulge, you love it? I found that I had to work on my own self first. This *might* influence others around me, but I can be sure it will influence ... me! 

~ Michael Prager, Arlington, Mass.

I can't get enough of junk food a few weeks ago and I am now  216  and losing a little at a time. I haven't brought junk food into my home for about 2 weeks now and my grandson is doing better with my daughters shopping too. He has dropped another 2 pounds. I don't buy Pepsi,Coke that much. I go for ice tea or just 5 bottles of water a day. I feel better but the junk food will always be in my mind. dejolane