I am 37 weeks pregnant tomorrow and my OB has threatened to induce me on the coming Wednesday or even schedule a c-section if labour does not happen naturally. I read a bit about induction and it seemed that it can cause really painful contractions. Is there anything I can do to try and induce labour naturally at 37 weeks pregnant, and what do you suggest?

There are natural ways to induce labor, which are often used by homebirth midwives, but they only work if and when the baby is "cooked" and ready to come out. These include stripping of membranes (if you are not ready for labor, the membranes will reseal), castor oil, and blue and black cohosh. The last two especially are serious business and tend to induce labor rather quickly. Then there are also other methods, which are sometimes said to help induce labor but with little scientific evidence - eating spicy food, having sex, and walking lots. But again, they are only supposed to work if you body and your baby are actually ready.
Which brings me to the next question. Why on earth would any OB want to induce you at 37 weeks? Are there any medical reasons for that at all? Please be aware that any kind of induction is a serious medical intervention, leading to higher risk of having more interventions yet, such as a c-section. Furthermore, these interventions can lead to fetal distress and statistically speaking show worse outcomes for moms and babies. I know that you are under a lot of pressure to decide really quickly now, but know that you have the right to informed consent if you are in the US, and that you can decline to be induced. Or alternatively, simply not show up for your induction, and wait to go into labor. "Term" is considered to be from 38 weeks gestation to 42 weeks, meaning that you would be going into labor prematurely if that happens now. Again, this carries risks.

O.o actually from 37wks your classed as full term not 38 wks, or at least thats what i've been told from my midwife and the hospital

Actually, there are a lot of reasons why a midwife or OB would induce labor as soon as term is approached-which yes, is 37 weeks.  One of those reasons is large gestational size and/or high risk pregnancies...Eg. women who have previously become pre-eclampsic during their earlier pregnancies, or just has PIH or HELLP syndrome...This is to protect Mum and baby...  Maybe do some research before trying to convince someone to ignore their doc or midwife-they do usually know best.  If you have low blood platelets then a vaginal delivery OR c-section of a larger baby can be detrimental to Mum.  Platelets are what makes your blood clot so that you stop bleeding, maybe midwife wanted baby out to prevent serious bleeding or tearing. (speaking from experience...36 weeks w/ baby no. 2-inducing after 37)