I and 29 and have been trying to get pregnant with a Unicornuate Uterus and a left ovary for a year and a half. I was just put on Femara 2.5mg. What kind of pregnancy successes do people have with unicornuate uteruses. Per my day 21 blood work I did ovulate. I am sure they will do a ultra sound to check my eggs next month. How common is a Unicornuate Uterus? There isn't much information about it.

I have a unicorunate uterus. I'm 27 now but was 25 when I got pregnant with my first. It is VERY uncommon condition. Have a uterine malformation only affects 3-4% of the population and a unicornuate is about 0.1% of the population in general. One of the things you will read on the web is that the success rate for term pregnancy is low. I had no trouble getting pregnant and carried my baby girl until 39 weeks exactly. She was breech so I did have a c-section, but went into labor a few hours before my scheduled c-section. I'm planning on trying again in December 08. I'm hoping I have the same success I did last year. If you do have a unicornuate uterus I would recommend checking to make sure you have 2 kidneys because it is common to be missing a kidney or have one that is not functioning at 100%.

I also have a unicornuate uterus, which wasn't discovered until my c-section; I had my son at 34 1/2 weeks in July of '08. I originally went into labor at 28 weeks, and was placed in the hospital on strict bed rest until 34 1/2 weeks. They sent me home for one day and during that day my water broke and I came back to the hospital to have my son. When I did have my c-section the doctors discovered that I only had my left kidney, and only my left ovary was attached to the fallopian tube. It took me about 6 months to get pregnant.

When we decide to try for #2 (summer of 09) the doctors have said that I will be considered high risk, especially because of the one kidney. I'll be getting steroid shots to prevent the pre-term labor, probably have a cervical cerclage at some point, and also be placed on strict bed rest near the middle of the pregnancy.

My son was in the NICU for 11 days, but now is a healthy 27-pound 16 month old - you'd NEVER know he was a preemie (4.6 lbs). He's about 1 1/2 months developmentally behind, but that's completely normal and by 2-2 1/2 he should have caught up

I'm 28 years old and I was diagnosed with a unicornuate uterus after the birth of my first child. It took us almost two years for me to get pregnant with our first, a son (now 4.5 yrs), but we didn't have enough money to determine the exact cause of the infertility or do any treatments. Needless to say, my pregnancy came as a very pleasant surprise. Except for heavy spotting at ten weeks, my pregnancy was normal until I went into labor at 35 weeks. Instead of contractions, I had excruciating back pain and was dilated to 9cm when I finally saw the doctor. My son was footling breach and I had an emergency C-section. He was a healthy 5.5 lbs and he didn't have to spend any time in the NICU.

Several months after he was born, my doctors had me go through ultrasound, CT scan, and MRI scans to finally diagnose me with the unicornuate uterus. I have two functioning kidneys and both ovaries, though I only have the left side of my uterus and the left fallopian tube.

My second child was conceived after only 3-4 months. We were shocked, but very grateful. I didn't see a high-risk doctor for this pregnancy, though my Ob/Gyns had me coming in every two weeks from 12-32 weeks to make sure my cervix wasn't shortening. At 32 weeks I started having contractions, so I was given a muscle relaxer and put on a "modified" bedrest. My daughter was born at 37 weeks and 5 days and she was a healthy 6.5 pounds. Again, she was footling breach so I had a C-section. She is now 2.5 years old.

I am currently 34 weeks along in my third pregnancy with another daughter. It took us about 7-8 months to conceive this time. We are in a new city, so I have been seeing both a normal Ob/Gyn and a high-risk doctor at the hospital. I have received regular ultrasounds on both my cervix and uterus (to make sure the baby has enough room) and there have been no problems. My baby is currently in a footling breach position, and I don't anticipate her changing much for when she is born (the doctors here keep insisting that she'll turn). I am planning on having another C-section, though I anticipate I'll go into labor sometime before my 39-week C-section appointment.

A warning....yes, you will appear lopsided at times in your pregnancy with a unicornuate uterus. It's most evident when you lie on your back, at least, that's when it's most evident for me.

I also have a Unicornuate Uterus. I have a 10yr old, an 8 yr old and a 1 yr old. With my oldest I carried to 35 weeks, my middle I carried to 36 weeks, and with my youngest I carried to 34 weeks. All three of my children are all very healthy. I would check to see if you have both kidneys, I only have 1, because with all 3 of my pregnancies I did have bladder infections.

I was born with one kidney and never knew I had a unicornuate uterus until I was trying to get pregnant for over a year. My doctor did a hysterosalpingogram(sp?) and discovered that as well as the fact my tubes were blocked. The procedure cleared my fallopian tubes, but my doctor said that with this condition, I could miscarriage even into my third trimester if I was to get pregnant.

One month later I was pregnant. At about 26 weeks, I started having contractions and effacing. I was put on bedrest and made it to 37 weeks before I went into labor. Had to have all the steroid shots for his lungs, etc. My son was born healthy - thank goodness!

A year later we started trying to get pregnant again, thinking it could take us a long time, but it only took a few months. Another boy! This time I had contractions early as well. The doctor put me on bed rest at 30 weeks. My water broke at 32 weeks and I was admitted to the hospital. They put me on antibiotics and drugs to stop labor, but several hours later, my second son was born at 4.5 lbs. that same night. He was in NICU for 3 weeks because he couldn't suck and he needed to gain weight. Otherwise he was healthy. He is smaller than his brother, but that could just be my family genetics. They are now 10 and 8 and perfectly healthy, and doing very well in school. After both hard pregnancies, I decided to have my tubes tied. I couldn't bear to have another child even earlier. I feel blessed to have the children I have.

I was diagnosed with a unicornuate uterus after having two miscarriages. It's great reading all of the positives about this condition, seems very frustrating! We have been to see two specialists and both have said we can continue to try to get pregnant or find a surrogate b/c all of our other bloodwork and testing has come back normal. It's been very frustrating for both myself and my husband. We have decided to try again hope we have luck like all of the rest of you!

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A UNICORNUATE UTERUS ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO. I WENT THROUGH IVF TREATMENT AND GOT PREGNANT WITH TRIPLETS. I DID HAVE CONTRACTIONS EARLY AND WAS PUT ON MEDICATION AND BED REST TO STOP THEM. I HAD THEM AT 30 WEEKS AND THEY ARE NINE YEARS OLD NOW HAPPY AND HEALTHY.

I too have been diagnosed with a unicornuate uterus. I have been searching and searching for information and like all of you have come up short. As a unicornuate uterus occurs in only about 1 in 4000 women (or so I have read), it is hard to find information on. What I have found projects dismal results for carrying a healthy baby full term with high risks for the mother. What I want to know from you (other women with the same condition and some it appears with positive results and pregnancies) is, are the risks worth the trying and heartbreak?
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant now for about 2 years. 2 years that feel sometimes like 10! We both want to be parents so bad that it hurts; it has been a difficult road for us. Both my husband and I are finding ourselves emotionally drained, especially when the monthly reminder comes to tell us yet again that we are not pregnant. We are seeing a Reproductive Endocrenologist and still are having trouble conceiving. We have both discussed the few options we have and have begun to think about and look into adoption seriously as it seems to be the safest option for me and a potential child. My husband and I would still love to bring our own child into the world, but want to keep me safe too. Do any of you have any good advice for my husband and I?

I also have a unicornuate uterus, and can not find much information on it. I was diagnosed when I had my c-section with my daughter. My un-eventful pregnancy ended with my water breaking at 33 weeks, she was born at 3lbs 15oz and was in the NICU for 10 days. She is now a healthy happy 29lb 19month old.

I have a UU and have just had a lap to get rid of the endo (which was caused by this deformity) and a huge fibroid (not related). I am now having timed cycles, triggering ovulation. Problem is last month (while doing a PCT i ovulated from the left and therefore this month is out). I will only do timed cycles when the dominant follicule is the right one. For me, the UU wasnt the main reason for my infetrtility but it did contribute to the endo and possibly it makes my CM acidic......

GL ladies

I have just found this site and have found it very helpful.
I was diagnosed with a unicorn uterus (with one fallopian tube that is blocked!!) last year and will be ahving IVF/ICSI sometime this year.
Im unsure of what side my uterus is on, if I have 2 overies or if i have 2 kidneys!! I find it difficult to drink much and always need the loo (sorry for too much info!!) So could this be a side effect of only having 1 kidney??
If any of you have had IVF, how many embryo's did you have put back?? As im sure I will only be having 1 put back!!

Great to read some positive stories.

Hi, I was just diagnosed with a unicornuate uterus a week ago through an HSG procedure. I have a daughter who is now 5, she was a surprise prengancy! Me and my husband have been trying for 2 years now, 2 VERY long years. We started seeing a specialist 3 months ago, and realized our problem is I have a unicornuate uterus. I read through a few postings who were just recently diagnosed with the same problem and was looking for positive feedback. I just wanted to share my story because when I did get pregnant I did not know I had the unicornuate uterus. I had a very healthy pregnancy, no complications, I did not even start having contractions early. She was breeched the whole pregnancy and favored my left side which is the side I have my uterus, my right side never developed. I did have a C - section, which my dr did not discover I had the unicornuate uterus. My baby girl was 6lbs and 6oz and 19inches long. Very healthy! The only problem the unicornuate uterus has brought me is trying to conceive for baby number 2. Which my specialist does not seem concerned that I will never get pregnant, he says it will just take some patience. But I just wanted to let some of you know that just because you have a unicornuate uterus does not mean it always means your going to have a terrible pregnancy or un healthy babies. So stay positive and try not to dwell on all the bad things, and lets just be happy we do have half a uterus and can still conceive and have heatly beautiful babies... :-D I will be praying for everyone of you to become pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy and beautiful healthy babies.

I too was trying for baby no. 2 but after a year and a half with no results, we decided to figure out what was going on. Two HSG scans showed a left unicornuate uterus which was a surprise (to both me and the tech) since I'd had a 7lb 8oz. girl a few years earlier. She was born naturally with no complications. I am also relatively short 5'2" and skinny. From the little bit that I've read on the internet, I get a little scared about what might happen but my doctor doesn't see any reason not to keep trying.

Hello All. So comforting to find so many other women with the same very rare condition as me. God bless the Google.

My husband and I stopped using birth control in 2002. Silly us. We thought it would be that simple. By 2003 we we monitoring ovulation and trying to get the timing right. No luck. Prescribed Clomid by GYN in 2006. That just made me crazy not pregnant. Finally got an HSG and the diagnosis of unicornate uterus in 2007. Femara and four tries of intrauterine insemination were unsuccessful. Finally we saved enough for IVF ($10,000 out of pocket) and got the good news that we were pregnant 2 days before my 40th birthday.

Sigh.

We are 12 weeks and things look good so far. I am trying not to let the statistics of moms-to-be like me freak me out. I have to believe that after trying so long and so hard to have a baby that everything will turn out ok. Naive for forty I realize but after so many years of holding on I simply cannot abandon hope now.

Wish us luck!

Pati