I recently quit using the Nuvo Ring after about two and a half years. I had been taking birth control pills for years before that (with about a four month break in between during which my periods were very unpreditable. I had lost a good deal of weight, and my doctor told me that my unreliable perids were likely a result of the weight change at that point). Once on the Nuvo Ring, my periods were very predictable.

It's been about three months now since I quit taking the Nuvo Ring. I have had two periods in that time (one about two weeks ago). The periods are farther apart than I am used to, but they are regular and no big deal. (I do feel a bit more emotional--but I actually prefer that. My sex drive is better and I do have mild pre-menstral cramps, but again, no big deal.)

However, I am having extreme nipple tenderness. About a month ago I had shooting pains in my left breast that shot out toward my nipple. My husband (who is a med student) had a theory that my milk ducts might be clogged. I actually noticed what looked like a clogged pore, cleared it and that pain went away. Now though, just the nipple is very sore. I've bought new bras with more comfortable padding, but there has been no change.

I really don't think I am pregnant (but frankly, a number of my friends are pregnant, and I am paranoid because they've all had nipple tenderness at the beginning of their pregnancies).

Is there any other explanation for an experience like this?

Hi, I recently went through almost EXACTLY what you have. And I experienced the same symptoms. So, I wouldn't worry, it's not just you. My nipples have never hurt like this before. I've only been off for two weeks. I too hope that it goes away. Goodluck!

i have recently taken myself off birth control too, and have experienced the same as well. It has been about a month now and I too strongly do not believe I am pregnant! when will it end..this is no fun! Oh not to mention cramping!! :-(

Feeling the same thing... not prego either! Any MD want to give us some info here?

Your body will go through many changes after getting off birth control. I know I have had acne, bad breast pain, cramping, mood swings when I have gotten off. It takes a max. 6 months to be completely regulated again. This is just your body saying, "where's the hormones." Keep the advil handy...it will eventually go away.

On Thursday I noticed only my nipples were sore- not my whole breast & thought Oh No! But after reading the above I think this is what happened. I recently ran out of my NuvaRing and have been off the hormones for about 3 weeks now. I've got to get back on it, but thank you for the mind-ease for now.

I too just stopped the nova ring and im experiencing nipple pain and tenderness. I'm not preggers either and justnwant to know when this will go away.

I have been off the Nuvaring for about 3 weeks also and have been experiencing the nipple tenderness and cramping.  I too, believe that our bodies are saying "Where's the Hormones" as well.  If it doesn't change soon I may have to get back on it as well.  Its no fun.  I thought I was pregnant  too but I'm sure I'm not for now.  Thanks ladies for all of your comments.  You definitely put my mind at ease and I can relax a little.  I was getting worried that something was really wrong.

well, this is all good to hear... i, too, have been off the ring for 3 weeks - little cramps, bloating,  and a few days ago my boobs started burning. I'm freaking out a bit as well, hoping it's not pregnancy and thinking logically it really shouldn't be. but i've been through similar symptoms with other birth control so i know you just have to wait it out... and google search these things hoping others are in the same boat. glad to post to let others know they are not alone.

Glad I found this post. Been off Nuva Ring for three weeks and have been creeped out about the nipple pain thing. No breast pain, just nipples. I was looking at info about breast tenderness after stopping birth control in general, but I think now maybe this symptom is something exclusive or more common to Nuva Ring. I'm less worried now but still rather annoyed- the sensitivity is noticeable to say the LEAST. Haven't experienced any other symptoms thus far, though. 

My acne fluctuates but I might even say that so far or, at least today, face is looking exceptionally clear.

I'm curious about what other symptoms at what other stages other Nuva Ring users are experiencing.

Hi, so I've been on the Internet trying to figure out if my nipples were a sighn of anything because I have never had them so sensative to slightest touch. For about one year I've been on the Nuba ring. Just this month my farmacy delivered to me two days late my prescription and I figured that what ever I'll just restart it on a Monday comeing up. I was off for a full week and now I've been on it for about two days. Earlier today when putting on my bra my nipples were a bit tender, but now going to bed it hurts so much that its got me searching for logical answers for why I'm so tender. I saw this sight and was wondering even if you are off for a week do you get nipple eartation? I'm wondering at the same time if I should go get a prago test at the same time? Please tell me thoughts I would so appreaciate it.

this helped me so much i have been off my nuvaring about three weeks as well and my nipples hurt to even wash in the shower. i knew i was not pregnant but i have been having ovarian pain and what not so i thought maybe it was related to that or maybe that i havnt had sex in a while but i forgot about nuva ring. i also noticed myself bloating and eating a ton and drinking a lot more soda than normal.

Same thing happened to me. Been off the NuvaRing for 3 weeks, and I'm having nipple pain (not breasts, just nipples). Was concerned I was pregnant somehow but this seems like something specific to discontinuing the Ring. Mind eased! 

Me 2! I have been off nuva ring for three weeks and have sore nipples and swollen breasts. I thought I may be pregnant which seemed illogical since I for the past 2 months have had my period. After reading this I feel much better. I just want to know when this will stop??

I've also been off for almost a month, but i had overall breasts and nipple tenderness and my breasts are also growing (which i dont mind)  :)  Havent really had cramps, but no sign of my period yet and i know for a fact i am not pregnant.  Hopefully it goes away soon!