What are NSAIDs and how they work? I have arthritis problem and was prescribed with NSAIDs drug… and I’ve not iced that they are the most prescribed medications for treating conditions such as arthritis. I would like to be informed about these drugs. Thaks.

Most people are familiar with over-the-counter, nonprescription NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) such as aspirin and ibuprofen. They are more than just pain relievers, they help reduce inflammation and lower fevers, prevent blood from clotting, which is good in some cases but not so beneficial in others. NSAIDs work by preventing an enzyme from doing its job. The enzyme is called cyclooxygenase, or COX. Therefore there are two forms: COX-1 protects the stomach lining from harsh acids and digestive chemicals; it also helps maintain kidney function and COX-2 is produced when joints are injured or inflamed.