Hello guys.

My two dogs are getting old and I notice this every day when I am home. Sometimes I am really sad because I think that I don’t spend a lot of time with them and I am aware that I am going to lose them soon :(

I am taking care of them but I can’t “heal” their ages. :/

One of them, dog who is 10 years old is diagnosed with arthritis. He has a back pain and I can see that he is nervous because of it.

I don’t know what to do and how to deal with it?

Can you help me?

Hey everyone. I know how hard this situation can be. When your dog is getting older. My two dogs died in four months because they were very old. :/

You should keep excess body weight to a minimum. That is very important aspect of managing arthritis, joint and back pain in older dogs. Sometimes when you reduce your dog weight it can be helpful and it can be totally enough. Beside, you should change your dog’s activity and mobility. Remember that exercise is very important to entice the dog to maintain and improve his joint movements. Good luck!

Hey you two,

Arthritis is probably the most common problem with older dogs. Dog owners usually know that they are going to have to deal with it one day. 

As far as I know, you cannot treat this, like, to fix it, but you can help by easing the pain to your dog. You do this by treating him with NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs). Since people usually ask first about side effects, I can tell you that side effects of these drugs are stomach and intestinal problems. 

There are a lot of different NSAIDs so you should consult your vet about which one you can use.

Hello. To be sure that your dog has this problem visit the vet. If this is the issue here are a couple of tips. Certain food can increase arthritis. Some people found that if you eliminate grains from the diet can be very helpful for your dogs. Foods such are potatoes, tomatoes, papers and eggplant can cause arthritis. So avoid this food. It is very important for your dog to exercise. If your dog has extra pounds it makes him harder to exercise. Control your dog food intake. When your dog shows some signs of arthritis (some of them won’t show any signs) there are some of natural anti – inflammatory supplements that you can try before using any medications. You can use fish oil because it is great source of the omega 3 – fatty acids.

Hey everyone,

I have heard about these NSAIDs too, but I heard about more side effects than just the ones that you have mentioned. I'm guessing that the ones you mentioned are probably the most common ones.

Although NSAIDs are always used when it comes to arthritis, they can also slow the blood clotting process which leads to bleeding. They can make kidney problems worse by lessening the blood supply to them.

If you decide to give these to your dog, you should pay attention that he isn't using any other medications as well. Consult your vet about the right NSAIDs for your dog. :)

Well, the thing is people always start to think about this problem when they notice the first symptoms. And we need to start thinking about this when our dogs are still puppies.

What we feed them throughout their lives is what’s going to significantly affect their arthritis in later years.

When the problem is already there, there’s not much to be done except for feeding your dog with low calorie diet if he is obese. Losing weight will certainly ease the pain.

And maybe moderate amount of daily exercise can help in easing discomfort too (taking walks, interactive play time etc.)

It is true that a proper diet and exercise can delay arthritis and we can certainly affect how it is going to progress.

First of all the diet does not only need to be low calorie, it needs to be full of calcium and other nutrients.

What will certainly help your dog both physically and mentally is a nice massage. Not only does it help the blood to circulate his body better, it is also pleasing to your dog, we all know how they like to be massaged.

There is also Low Level Laser Therapy if you decide to go with that option.

I don’t know how to recognize back pain in my dog. He has also been diagnosed with arthritis about a month ago and he is not even that old. He is 6 years old. I guess it has to do with his genes, cause his father also had similar problems. So maybe it’s inherited. When I took him to the vet he told me that when I notice that he is in a lot of back pain I should not try to move him or whatever. But how can I even determine that he has back pain… I really have no idea.