During a period, I had a vaginal discharge that was black and jelly like. It was about 2 in in diameter. It was different than a blood clot. The period started out spotting, I had a day of heavy bleeding, this discharge then 2 days of light bleeding. Should I be worried?

These discharge differences are so interesting! I can't say I've ever noticed black discharge during, before, or right after my periods, but I am familiar with very brown discharge, and stringy bits. I suppose that black and very dark brown or red can look the same depending on who is looking and in what light. 

Anyway, you should always be worried and see your doctor if this kind of discharge happens unrelated to your period, so between periods. That can be a sign of things like infections and foreign objects being stuck in the vagina. In your case, that doesn't seem to be the deal though.