I have been dealing with this problem off and on for a few years, I have had a complete workup done by my doctor... I've had two kinds of ultrasounds, bloodwork to check my thyroid, pregnancy tests... I noticed it first while taking the pill... I would have breathrough bleeding... I'd request a pill change, problem solved until 2-3 months down the road, then I was in the same boat.

I decided to stop taking the pill altogether, my husband and I wanted to conceive anyway. After 6 months, I became pregnant. Halfway through my pregnancy, they found a fibroid. It didn't pose any risk unless it grew, but I had a normal delivery.

Fast forward to today, 8 months postpartum. I have an IUD (regular, not a Mirena). I have been exclusively breastfeeding on demand up until about 3-4 weeks ago... when I began feeding him solids. This might sound like I am going off-topic here, but I suspect there may be some kind of relation. The number of times I nurse in a day has decreased significantly, and, expecting to get my period this week, my problems have returned for the first time.

I have light flow of brown/black menstrul blood... enough to have to change my pantiliner a few times a day. I have backaches, mild cramping and I definitely feel like I am about to start my period.. but past experience tells me this is NOT my period.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could the fibroid be affecting my flow? Could breastfeeding be affecting THAT? Not to mention, I have developed acne on my chin, neck, back and chest areas, and I am just downright miserable about it. I've never had acne like this! Please help!

ok. I have never had this problem before.. I am 21, and just gave birth to my 2nd child. I am now 8 weeks postpartum. I only stopped bleeding for about a week, at 4 weeks postpartum, then started up again. After a little more then a week of what I figured was my 1st period, it stopped, but a few days later after my 6 wk check up, I started having a thick, dark brown, almost black discharge. I have to change my pantiliner frequently. Also, to go along with it, I have a very strong odor when I urinate, which is very dark also, and never happened before.. I think that might just be from dehydration, since I'm exclusively nursing and I know I don't drink enough water, but I'm working on it.. I didnt know if maybe the 2 are connected in anyway.. I have had all these problems for about 2 weeks now. If it doesn't stop by next week I'm just going to go see my doctor. I was hoping someone could help and shed some light on this for me if they know so I don't have to pack up my kids in this cold weather to go to my doctor and fork out money that could be spent on diapers lol.. Any ideas anyone?

I started having the dark/light period this time around, and noticed I have a lot more acne that usual as well (didn't notice the two may go together until reading this post). I have no kids, and my husband has had a vasectomy. Anyone know what this is?

I am 31 with 3 children. I have had my tubes tied, and began having irregular timing on my periods after this. I had a period every 3 weeks. (One week of PMS, one week of menstruation, one week of peace, rinse and repeat.) I dealt with this for several years, after hearing horror stories of other women who had their tubes tied, how painful periods were, amount of blood, etc., I figured I was just lucky since mine were relatively painless and not so heavy, just average. Long story short. I started seeing a doctor for unassociated back pain in June of 2008. I did a short work of therapy for my back and then my doctor suggested I go on some form of BC to help regulate. So I did. He prescribed me Tri-Sprintec, generic for Ortho Tricyclen. The first period I had after starting these pills was red and typical of my normal period, and only lasted 3 days. The second, I noticed right before I started I had thick, brown discharge that resembled old blood, right before my typical flow. I shrugged this off because I didn't feel bad and the discharge did not smell unusual or bad, in fact it had very little smell at all. After this period, it's like it never really stopped. I have to use a panty liner every day in consideration of my light brown discharge, and now that I'm on my period, the blood is dark brown. I have not been back to the doctor, nor have I stopped taking the pills.
In July when I first started seeing my current doctor, I had a complete metabolic panel, blood testing, PAP, and so on. I don't really feel any differently, except that I have to wear a liner every single day now and my discharge is brown. I am guessing it is because of my BC pills. Would like to know of women with similar experiences, would be a bit of comfort.

i;ve had this problem but my doctor just says thats it "normal" even though i feel it isnt when you are on contraceptives but talk to your doctor

I am 27 and have 2 children, the youngest one being 4 yrs old. I have an IUD, not the mirena. I have horrible pain in my breasts plus discharge, my abdominal cramps seem to get worse every month, I have never had acne in my life until just a few months ago (on my chin I might add), and my periods seem to be getting darker in color and lighter in flow. I have also been having muscle cramps in my legs and my back.

What is this?

I am twenty years old and have no children. But for about two weeks I had been fighting what I am sure was a mild urinary tract infection. I researched my symptoms online, so I'm pretty sure that's what it was, even though I didn't go to the doctor because I wasn't in horrible pain, just minor irritation and thick yellowed discharge. I read online that a deucheing of watered-down hydrogen peroxide could help. So that's what I did about every other day to every three days until I felt better. Now, it has been about three or four days since the last time I felt the need to deuche and my period has started. It is a very dark brown, almost black. What the hell?! Is it because I deuched with peroxide? Is it because of the infection? I have minor cramping and light flow like everyone else here, and I have an IUD (not mirena). Maybe it's just that my immune system is just running low-from the infection and plus I have a cold. Also I am dehydrated, and I know I'm not getting proper neutrients in my diet. Maybe I'm not getting enought vitamin A or Iron?

:$ I am nearly 20 years old, and for the first time I have had this problem, I am so completely freaked out! for the first time, I haven't had bad period pain, but when I checked my pad, It was almost black, I have no idea what it is...anyone with a suggestion, would be greatly appreciated

I am in almost the exact same boat! I am almost 20 as well and am having blackish/brown discharge. I am on the pill, so I usually don't have period pains. I am expecting to start my period this week and "can feel it coming" when I usually don't. I feel like I'm on my period, but not having a lot of blood.

Im about to be 22 years old. I have this problem every now and then as well. Im on the pill and have no children. this has been going on for about a year when it first happen i thought it was no big deal but now when i start my period its happening more and more... I thought maybe it was old blood. this time i started cramping bad and then there it was, buts its like i don't really bleed but after using the restroom when i wipe its there??? I really wish i knew what this was because its starting to bother me... this time i started while in middle of my pack..... if anyone thinks they know what it could be please let me know

I am going to be 20 this 22nd march 2009 & I have the same exact menstrual cycle problem except I have a lot of blod clots in mine. My mom says I have an eating disorder and this is why my blood is thining (anemia) anyways I'm getting really scared because no one has an answer. I'm starting to think that I may have cervical cancer or something :'(

i am 22 and have never taken any type of pill yet i have this brown menstrual cycle.. it started out short and light.. and now it's hitting over a week.. i thought it was just old dead blood.. but i now i think i have a dead or bad ovary or some sort of cancer... and yes, im going to ask my doctor.. :-(

I am about 5 1/2 months postpartum. Since I was twelve, I have had very heavy, painful periods and this continued after delivering my son. But my period for this month has been very light so far and I have had no cramps. Usually, I have at least a week of warning cramps before my period actually starts, but this time I didn't even know I had started. I have also broken out with acne all over my face, neck and chest. Is this normal for postpartum menstruation?

RESEARCH ENDOMETRIOSIS & POLY CYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME!

Please advice,my menses is Black/spotting,what can i do for my menses to flow well.