I have a daughter that is 9 years old, and she did not get her period yet. Anyway, she told me one day crying that she has noticed brown discharge on her underwear. I do not know what to do now. Should I be worried, or that is beginning of her period? Can anyone tell me if that kind of problem requires gynecologists check up, or we should wait and see what will happen?

There are many different causes woman can have brown discharge. Some woman reported this unpleasant symptom as beginning of ovarian cysts or even sometimes cancer. I am saying this at the start, because I want to say probably that could not be with your daughter. She is just too young to have this disease, and I think you should not be worried about it. After this, brown discharge could happen because of birth control pills and implantation when woman is pregnant. I also do not believe any of these happens with 9 years old girl who does not have her period yet. Somehow, I believe she is going to start bleeding soon and became a woman. You did not report how long does it lasts, so I cannot tell you for sure. If that happened lately, I could recommend you to wait and expect menstrual blood soon. If nothing happens in few months, take her to gynecologist, maybe she needs some pills to help her hormones balance.

can you tell me what happened ? was that the start of her periods? because I notice a similar slight brown colour on my 9 yr olds underwear and am quite worried . It does not smell like menstrual fluid at all but is nasty smelling.
She has this a few years ago and it went away on its own. Please help

Celebrity
Vaginal discharge in children is considered a disorder. Vaginal discharge in children is usually treated with antibiotics. Show your daughter how to wipe correctly: from the front to the back to avoid possible infections.

Blood and funny smell may indicate a presence of a foreign body. You should take her to a gynecologist to have a vaginoscopy (or another procedure) done to check for foreign bodies inside your girl’s vagina. If a foreign body is present, it shows symptoms like blood flow and odor, which sounds like your daughter’s case.

Let me know how it went and if they found something!

Im not sure if you found your answer but just to let you know i was exactly her age when i found the same thing. it was just a tiny bit for one day but i did start my cycles very soon after. i did not see the doctor for this but i am 26 now and perfectly fine.

When I was 9 years old I noticed a brownish discharge in my underwear as well. I freaked out and told my mom. Two weeks later I had my first period. I wouldn't worry about it unless it lasts a long time. My little sister is 13 and her period started the same way.

When I got my first period, all mine was, was brown discharge and I was scared as hell, then I talked to my mom and she said that it was my first period and it was. Most likely this is all it is, but you can always go to the doc. for peace of mind. ;-)

hey, wel when i was like 11 one day i also found a brownish spot in my underwear, i thought i was getting my period but i finally got my period when i was 16. So i'm not sure why i bleed that day, but i dont think its much to worry.

im 14 and have this im really scared is there summink wrong or is this normal? only happend today :$

Hi. If you are 14 and haven't had your period yet then it is very likely that the brown discharge is your first period or you are about to start getting them. Unless it smells bad or is itchy, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Hey everyone,
just a thought : if you are 9 - 14 then the likely hood is either you are about to have your period or your HYMEN has broken, remember this could occur during any sort of light exercise. I am 16, and yes my hymen has broken, HOWEVER when I was your age, 14, I sat on a bike and had brown discharge.

I would also say this, I am on birth control tablets and regular urinary infections that could cause brown discharge as well. One thing I should say is that if it is your hymen breaking, it does not mean you have lost your virginity, contrary to popular belief.

Anyways there are lots of things about this on www.scarleteen.com might help you all :-)

goodbye
keekee

When I was around ten, I was sitting in my moms bathroom using the toilet and she walked over and looked in my underwear, and there was brown discharge and it was the starting of my period. And now little girls are starting their periods sooner than ever.. some even as young as 7 or 8. I think that is probably what it is.

im 13 and havehad the same thing that started 2day

when I first got my period it was like a brownish discharge too, even the 2nd and 3rd time i got it, it was like that especially in the beginning and end of my period, it will probably eventually look more like the red menstral fluid you are used to seeing. It never hurts to see a doctor though. Is your daughter experiancing cramps or anything that may indicate it being her period?

hiya you sed ur 14 well if so the brown discharge u have was probibly your period thats how mine started