Hello. Some guys at school are using opiace at parties and I heard a story when they were saying that one of them got addicted and that he can’t get off of them now. Their stories are really awful when they talk about this, and most of the things I don’t understand, so I would like to know how these opiace make one addicted.

Have you ever heard of heroin? Well, heroin is one of the opiates. They are also called narcotics and are a group of drugs which are used medically to relieve pain, but are often abused. Opiates come from the seed pod of the Asian poppy. Drugs like opium, morphine, heroin, and codeine belong to this group. Long term opiate use changes the way nerve cells in the brain work. These cells grow so used to having the opiate around that they actually need it to work normally. If opiates are taken away from dependent nerve cells, many cells become overactive. They will eventually work normally again, but in the meantime, they cause a wide range of symptoms in the brain and body. These are known as withdrawal symptoms and can be pretty harsh. Stay away from these drugs!