Whats the Best way to get off (Withdraw) from Vicodin / without getting addicted to any other Opiates? Thanxx

I would just taper slowly off them.  There are also ways to help an opiate taper go more smoothly.  Talk to your doctor if possible about your needs and ask if they could prescribe a detox meds to help you.  Clonidine is very helpful, plus an anti-diarrheal and an anti-nausea and something to relax and maybe sleep.  A few days of Valium, but ONLY a few days, as is very addictive in itself and you do NOT want another addiction on top of this, trust me, I’ve seen it a hundred times, and those people with the dual addictions suffer even worse than we “Opiate-only” addicts do.  Trust me-you do NOT EVER WANT a benzo habit.  But monitored closely, a few can be helpful while coming off opiates.  Read peter's post on "morphene withdrawl" because vicodin is processed the exact same way in your brain and the withdrawl is identical to morphine withdrawal.  That is why you must taper off the vicodin slowly.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I personally am on Methadone.  That is the ONLY opiate withdrawal that differs amongst the group of Opiates that cause withdrawal, because the 1/2 life of Methadone is approximately 22 hours, and there for the withdrawal is much, much longer than any other short-acting Opiate.  Even Morphine.  Morphine is very hard to come off of, but so is Vicodin.  I know, I was addicted to Vicodin with a $500/week habit from buying them online.  I had a great career making 55k /yr and I lost everything once my addiction took over and became the center of my life.  I started with Vicodin, and thought that I wouldn't get addicted, even though I had heard they could be addictive.  I thought I was too "strong-willed" to get addicted.  I was way wrong and ended up with large heroin habit in the end.  It was all that mattered to me.  Now, with the Methadone program I am on, I am able to live a completely normal life.  They drug test us, and hold clients accountable for their actions...plus Methadone is 100% legal.  Also, once you have a bunch of clean UA'S you can stop going to the clinic every day, because they give you "take home doses" which you are required to keep in a safe and stable home environment, in a locked-box or safe and NO ONE in the home can be using illicit substances.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now, do you need to do all this to come off your vicodin?  Hopefully not.  However, only you and maybe a drug-and-alcohol or other applicable medical professional can really answer that, and the only way to do so is to ask yourself this one question:                

"Am I addicted to the drug (in your case Vicodin)  or am I DEPENDANT on the drug (vicodin for you)? 

IF DEPENDANT:

You can become dependent on a drug because say you’ve taken it 3x a day for 2 years, for example.  Then you suddenly stop taking it for some reason…maybe you no longer have the pain you once did, as you said, or maybe you lose your insurance, or whatever…the point is that upon suddenly stopping taking it, how do you feel?  6 hours into it, then 12, the 24, and 48, and so on.  If you feel “sick” and almost weird because nothing you do helps it, than you proibally have devolped dependence physically to the drug.  There are actually quite a few drugs that can do this and it’s scary.  Each drug, patients are told will “help” them.  Other medicine’s famous for causing withdrawal symptoms of some sort are anti-depressants.  If you do not taper off them, you will almost certainly have withdrawal symptoms.  But this does not mean you are mentally addicted to it.  It’s what do you do if you start feeling this way that best tells you what you are, or become.  Physical dependence to a drug can be identified by withdrawal symptoms if the drug is abruptly stopped or decreased. While physical dependence may be a component of addiction, it is not, in and of itself, addiction. In fact, physical dependence is a consequence of many medications. For example, certain blood pressure medications can cause physical dependence. Yet, these medications do not lead to addiction.

IF ADDICTED:

Say the reason you stopped the vicodin is because you’ve lost your insurance coverage and can’t afford the doctor visit or the Script’s cash price…and therefore, you do not have any pills left.  Will you panic and look anywhere to try to get some?  Will you do anything just about to get them, things that you’ve NEVER even dreamed you’d do, like going in your Grandparents medicine cabinet, and stealing some, then lying to them about why it is you had actually stopped by.   On your way home you pop a few and in 45 minutes you’re feeling totally normal again.  Until 2 days later, when you are out of vicodin.  You can’t go to your grandparents, cause you took them all.  You don’t know anyone selling them.  You decide maybe you could go to the dentist and say you have a terrible toothache.  It works, and you get 20 more pills.  That’s a whole weeks worth.  This time instead of taking 2 at a time, you take 3, hoping to get an extra buzz and not to mention, you had said you’d help your best friend move and could use the extra energy.   While there, you notice a mutual friend wallet out, there is no way you’d touch it, BUT this is a special situation, because your running out of pills faster than normal now that your taking 3 instead of 2 at a time.

According to the American Society of Addiction Medicine, drug addiction differs from drug dependence. Not all people with physical dependence to a drug will go on to develop addiction. It is believed that certain individuals are predisposed or vulnerable to addiction based on biological, psychological and social influences.

Signs of drug addiction may include:

·         drug-seeking behaviors (obtaining the drug from multiple doctors, illegally obtaining the drug)

·         cravings for the drug

·         preoccupation with obtaining the drug

·         misusing the drug for intoxication or pleasure

·         dependence and withdrawal upon stopping the drug

·         interference with normal life functions (decreased work productivity, decreased motivation)

·         relationship problems

·         legal issues

·         continued use despite negative consequences

If this helps anyone I will have served my purpose~Mousie =)

Thank you for the information!