Hi, guys. My friend is addicted to opiate analgesics and he will have to be on some drug called naltrexone. I think that one addiction is being changed with another. I am not sure if this is a solution. Is it possible to lose dose of this drug? What do you think about this? I will appreciate all your replies.

Hello there! Well I read that naltrexone helps patients overcome urges to abuse opiates by blocking the drugs’ euphoric effects. While some patients do well with the oral formulation, there is a drawback in that it must be taken daily, and a patient whose craving becomes overwhelming can obtain opiate euphoria simply by skipping a dose before resuming abuse. A preferable alternative for those likely to skip doses is the naltrexone implant, which may be surgically inserted under the skin. The implant provides a sustained dose of naltrexone to the patient, thereby preventing the problems which may be associated with skipping doses. It must be replaced every several months. The naltrexone implant appears to be a far more effective means of treating heroin addiction than the oral formulation. According to this, your friend shouldn't lose dose of naltrexone without his doctors permission. I hope this will help you.

naltrexone blocks all pain killers from entering the system.
it can also be used to lower ones tolerance over an extended period of time
also, this is not suboxone, suboxone is a combination of naltrexone and buprenorphine.
naltrexone is not anyhting that will get you high

First off, I wanna tell you that the dude that said NALTREXONE is in suboxone... he is totally wrong. it is NALOXONE that is in subs. naltrexone is a blocker in a totally different way. naloxone will put you into withdrawls immediately if u take it after opiate use. anyway, i just got out of my second inpatient treatment center due to heroin. and i really dont wanna go back to one, or die, so im taking all steps this time around. i just got out, movin to sober (oxford) house in 2 days, and workin that 12 step program ya know. That is what really needs to happen to get above the terrible statistics of getting sober as an addict. dont wanna tell anyone what to do, but this stuff might be boring or whatever at first... i hated it. but now its saving my damn life. And to get back to NALTREXONE, I just took my shot of it today after trying the pills to see what they were like for a few days first. And i notice no effects being on this med. i was already clean 24 days when i first took it. And now im looking at it as my ...  bonus insurance plan .. because thats exactly what it is to me. Its impossible for me to get high on my drug of choice (Heroin) for 30 days. Even if i shoot up a whole lot (from what i hear). I've heard only a select group of people get naucious on this drug, and thats why u try the pills for a bit before the 30 day shot... you dont wanna be an unlucky one naucious for 30 days. So anyway in my opinion I dont think NALTREXONE is substituting opiates one bit. I think suboxone, subutex, and methadone are horrible medications, and dont treat anything... most people sell em for dope after the doctors get their money. its a joke. But NALTREXONE can really help you your first 3 months of recovery for sure. you will still crave your opiates, but you'll know they do nothing. and if u relapse i can bet it wont be on opiates with NALTREXONE in you. And your friend that is doing this I believe is smarter than not doing it. I mean so what, you have a chemical in your body being an addict.. but a unique one that does one thing for the most part ... BLOCK YOUR BRAIN FROM REAL DRUGS & EUPHORIA. the first bit of recovery is sooo important that i think the positives outweigh the negatives on this one big time... and last thing, everybody asks this question.. and NO, there are NO WITHDRAWLS FROM NALTREXONE.