I'm French and i'm looking for a medical advise since no real study exists in Europe concerning Oxycodone and pregnancy (even the national and famous site www.lecrat.org from Trousseau hospital in Paris doesn't mention it).

I've been suffering from pelvic pain and pudendal nevralgia for 3 years because of a pelvic surgery for a Crohn fistula. Since then, I had to take tramadol, codein, amitriptylin but after a few months, each of them stopped working. I've been trying Oxycontin for 6 weeks and it works great but all my doctors are terrified when I tell them that i want a baby. Hell i'm 33, it's important for me, even if my health is miserable.

I hope that doctors in USA know a little more about in utero effects and potential neurologic problems on the baby because i do worry a lot.

Could you help me?

Kisses from Brussels ;-)

Bonjour Amel: The reason why you cannot find information on it, IS because there HAS to be several guinea pigs for it in the 1st place.

Oxycocet IS Herroine! So what WILL happen is this, you will need to still be on the Oxycocet - perhaps even more while you are pregnant, because of your previous experiences - then when your baby is born he/she WILL have to be monitored for opiate withdrawls. This will include the shakes, twitching, irratability, crying non stop etc. BUT this pases in about 2 or 3 weeks.

There are MANY women in the world who are in terrible pain that have healthy happy babies, AS LONG as the doctors are aware of EVERYTHING that you are on, AND they monitor your pregnancy and the baby afterwards.

Just know this mon amie!!! That your pain WILL increase, and the chances of your pelvic area being in worse shape is Extrememly high!! So try and learn as much as possible about other options for handling pain, such as bio feedback, relaxation methods, etc. ANYTHING that can help you get through the inevitable changes to your body.

I wish you bonne sante', bonne chance, and BONNE SANTE BEBE!!! XD :-) :-D

I agree with what bambi27 has posted because a lot of women do try to quit while they are pregnant and it can create complications while you are pregnant, so you are usually best staying on oxycocet while you are pregnant for the baby's sake. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and how it is going.

Thank you both for your answers.

The problem is, Bambi, that I really tried almost all that what possible against pain. Since it was caused by a pelvic surgery, some nerves were cut, and the complete area, if I may say so, is a disaster. I also suffer no from urinary problems and well, the other side of the dark force too is not in great shape :-(

I tried TENS, physiotherapy (kinésithérapie in French), before using many types of drugs such as amitriptyline or tramadol or codein.

For the present time I don't have the courage to start a pregnancy with such high risks, but it's heart breaking.

Dear Amel; you will probably need a C-Section, as it sounds like your pelvic region is a mess. Just know this, there are thousands upon thousands of women who have problems with their cervix, their vagina, their anus etc. The only realy time you will have pressue down there is near the end of your pregnancy, when the babie is trying to get more space. I would think that your doctor will have you on bed rest for a month before the baby is due - as too not put so much pressure on your bottom. It is NOTHING too be ashamed of being on medication for you pain, it sounds like you are in a heck of a state down there.

Just have faith in your doctors, and that they WILL help you through this. My sister has Ankylosing spondylitis!!! Her hips had fused too her spine!!!! She carried her baby too term, couldn't - of course - have a vaginal birth - but my nephew had a bit of withdrawls - they just kept him in the NICU for about a week. He is a total healthy normal little boy. And she could NOT go off any medication, they just monitored her and the baby.

So just know IF and WHEN you want to become pregnant, it IS possible!

I just have another thought, here in Canada we have special teams that work with women who have vaginal, rectal pelvic trauma! I had over 50 stitches after my 2nd child was born, I had a 3rd degree tear. And it was HARD. So they started up a clinic - because babies are born bigger and bigger now and more and more women have major problems with that. They have Vaginal Physiotherapists, Specialized OB/GYN's, Nurses, counselling etc. Do you ahve anything like that over in France? If you do just give them a call - or have your doctor call them and set something up for you. They helped me a LOT! And this sort of therapy could work for you too. I wish you everything you desire, and please let me know if i can help you somemore. Bonne Chance!!!

Dear Bambi, in Belgium and France we've got gynecologists and obstetricians but not really specialized in pelvic traumas such as mine which was caused by a surgery on a rectal-pelvic fistula. The surgeon made a "mise à plat', a kind of deep and large cut to heal the fistula but now half of my pelvic zone is just fibrosis.
That's why i already know i can't have a natural childbirth but a C-section.

The pudendal nevralgia is an orphan illness, not very well known by doctors. I went and see a famous staff in France (Nantes) but they don't want to operate me because of my Crohn disease and this bad previous surgery. They even laughed at me when i talked about my fear of a pregnancy under pain killers -i was under codein last year- saying that anyway there was no studies concerning many drugs and that i should take the risk, that nobody knows the future (no kidding? that's a piece of news!) . I'm pretty sure they would not have laughted if i were one of their relatives. Poor stupid guys.

The only hope i've got is a date with a French obstetrician next august which is used to have pregnant women under methadone. Perhaps he will know how to manage my pain either under Oxycontin or something else (but the possibilities pannel of pain killers goes smaller and smaller).

Merci ;-)

Dear Amel: just know that you can STILL be on pain medication, they just have too watch the baby that is all. And if you see a Obstertrician that is familiar with babies who have too be in the NICU - Neonatal Intesive Care Unit - he/se will be able too help you. There are millions of women in France, and of course a certain percentage of them will have conditions that need to be controlled by pain medication. Such as people with severe arthritis, chrons, endimererosis, etc. So Don't get disheartened, It CAN be done. I wish you BONNE CHANCE!!! Bambi27!

Dear Bambi,

of course there are millions of pregnant women in France but I couldn't find a SINGLE one on the web who could have witnessed of a no-problem pregnancy with pain killers.
And believe me, I really looked for it during these last 3 years and I asked questions on all the medical web sites and forums (doctissimo; aufeminin; pudendalsite; and so on).

A bientôt.