Is tramdal same effective as hydrocodein in pain management? I think that tramdal is not narcotic pain killer, but am not sure. I think that I have heard that tramdal has less potential of abuse than codein, is that so? My husband sometimes has severe pain caused by kidney stones, so has to take strong pain killers. Please tell me something about tramdal’s effectiveness. Thanks.

Tramadol has significantly less potential of abuse than hydrocodein and morphine and other narcotics have. It is indicated in treatment of moderately severe pain, so obviously is not as strong pain killer as narcotic. It does not depress respiration like narcotics and at the other side does not damage stomach mucosa like non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Tramadol can be habit forming; it is not free of risk of abuse. If used for a long term, should not be discontinued suddenly.