I had a total colectomy on 4/2/2010; I was in the hospital for one month due to complications and slow transit of small bowel. I'm home now, very weak, 88 lbs. with severe  shortness of breath the last week. Had a CAT scan to rule out blood clot. I still have pain in the abdomen but do not want to take the narcotic pain pills. Any one else have these symptoms after a total colectomy? I'm getting very depressed as I use to exercise daily and can hardly do a flight of stairs now.

I had mine 4/10/2010. I'm 96 lbs (down from 112.) It appears weakness and shortness of breath must be typical. I started walking around the yard (with a walker) and the past couple of days have ventured out into the street. However, after walking or any activity of 15 mins. I get totally tired and have to go and lie down. I slept downstairs the last week but have now started sleeping upstairs. And, Yes, I walk very slowly up those stairs. My Dr. said it would take approx. 6 weeks to get past this period, then another three - to six months to, hopefully, get back to "normal". So hang in, the worst, I'm sure, is behind us. Since I like to be active too, I can't wait to get back to golf!

I had the same surgery in 2008. My operations was urgently and I also became septic. I was in the hospital over 7 weeks. It took me a total of 2 years to fully recover. Now I am left with chronic asthma and shortness of breath due to damage to my diaphragm. I would ask your doctor to test you for asthma even if you never had it before the surgery. I now use a respiratory inhaler twice a day and feel better.

I had one three years ago and am having the same problem.

I do so wish someone would talk to me,   I had my operation three+ years ago and for one year I could use the bathroom, now I can't without using milk of magnesia.   I have shortness of breath and try to walk and smother.    I can't find a Dr. who will listen,  I found one and he said the small intestines were becomming dysfunctional and that I wasn't strong enough to go through an operation at this time.

Thanks for listening.    Laverne

Hi I am horrified to read about this shortness of breath after this surgery.  I had surgery and most of my bowel removed and prior to this I was very active and healthy - now I have shortness of breath, asthma and the surgeon damaged my diaphram.  I was never told any of this prior to surgery. They want to make a pouch and reverse my ilioscomy but I am weary.  Has anyone had these reversed? Thanks

I  had a laparoscopic colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis surgery at the Mayo Clinic on January 18th. I was suppose to be in the hospital for 1 week and ended up there for over 3 weeks. I formed an ileus.. the most pain I have ever felt in my entire life. I was on decompression tubes.. one in my nose/throat to my stomach and the other inserted in my rectum through the small intestine until my body could do things on it's own. I was on morphine drip and it still was not enough for the pain. It has been aweful. Now I am home and no more narcotics.. just tylenol which to me does nothing but I understand that the narcotics are not good on the stomach.

I am going more frequently (which is great from never going and all or feeling like your being ripped apart when you go)but because I am still on the liquid diet the bm's are also liquid. I also formed a blood clot in my liver so now I am giving myself Lovenox shots in the stomac every morning. I go to a doctor on March 9th to start coumadin pills. Because of this I had to stop my birth control.

I am behind as far as food.. I should be on week 4 introducing foods etc but instead I am only a week into things. The doctor sortof started me over after the ileus cleared so I am still on liquid/soft food. Now its a matter of trying to deal with the aches and pains and these cramps whenever my bowls decide to move. Did anyone else experience these cramps? They are aweful. The doctors say its the small intestine trying to figure out what to do and that if it's making noses and moving that is a good sign. It might be a good sign but its painful and keeps me up at night. I also getting a shooting pain whenever I pass anything that is not liquidy.. like if my bowl has any bit of substance to it I get this shooting pain in my lower right abdomen. Anyone experience this? Doctors say its my body healing.