I had my thyroid removed in December of 07. I still have shortness of breath when I do anything remotely active, and I have excessive dry skin. Did anyone else have these side effects and how did you treat them?

I had my thyroid remove on March 8, 2010 and I have had shortness of breath ever since. Also, after surgery my oxygen level to a while to come up in recovery. I should note that I am 53 YO male and i have never had shortness of breath. It was like someone hit the light switch. I addition to the shortness of breath, I was unable to urinate after surgery and the Doctor thought it was due to an enlarged prostate. Now I am taking Flowmax to help me pee and once again, I have NEVER had this problem. Now they want to run more blood tests and who knows what else. All I know is I am tired of being tired and I miss me. Any help would greatly be appreciated.