Hi, I am a 47 year old female with a 3 year history of progressive shortness of breath with exertion. Doctors can find nothing wrong. I have even had two right heart catheterizations because of elevated pulmonary pressures on an echo but both were high normal. PFT's were pretty normal(DLCO had dropped from the previous year but was still within normal limits). As the week goes on, I get cold like symptoms(congested, more short of breath, dry cough). It gets relieved with rest only to progress again the following week. I have also had intermittent low oxygen saturations (with exercise) that were done once by my physician (dropped to 85%), several other times by my friend who is a nurse(we both work in a hospital). Other times my saturations are normal(100%). I have been waiting 5 monthes to see a pulmonologist but am getting very impatient not knowing what is going on. Asthma and heart disease has been ruled out. Chest xray a year ago was normal. Do any of these symtoms sound familiar to anyone?

You don't mention your BMI, fitness regime, general state of health (unless I missed it in all those acronyms) - I'm an experienced adult, not a medical professional, and if that seems weird to you, well, you don't need me to say go see a doctor!

Don't look for an ant when there's an elephant in front of you - since you haven't informed us of the obvious (general fitness and demands on your heart, and lungs - at least in plain speech - and speaking of which, smoking or any other habits), it's kind of hard to get started until we kick out the obvious.

If you're slim, fit, run a marathon every tuesday, then yes, it's an interesting question, and I'd be more than happy to ponder the matter.

Whether you want that, of course, is entirely up to you.

Sorry for not speaking english. I have been dealing with this for so long, I forget. I apologize. I was actually quite fit when all of this started. I was even training for a 5k run. Gradually, I stopped after repeatedly trying to exercise without getting anywhere and now, if I even go for a short walk, I feel pretty bad. I had lost 30 lbs over the last year with no improvement. I am still about 15 lbs overweight. Its hard to lose it when you can't exercise due to shortness of breath. I have never smoked and have no allergies. No other health issues. I was just hoping maybe someone else might have had similar symptoms.

Sorry for not knowing the jargon. I spend my life translating tech to laymen, so I know the issue. Well, I agree that 15lb is not at the end of the day going to make that kind of difference. One other silly question, to eliminate factors outside your body, is that you don't live in Aspen or anywhere high altitude? Sounds daft, I know, but it's the one other obvious factor.

I wish you luck. If you don't get any satisfactory answers, you may wish to slip over the fence. I appreciate that medically trained personel can have an issue with it, but that doesn't mean that all new age is hokum - and acupuncture is pretty much accepted as mundane now. Ultimately it's your call, but I have a lot of time for reiki, in particular, though that's not my own personal backgroud; ditto tai chi. If you're willing to accept that we may have an energy system, not simply a physical system, you may find some progress over there.