wow, i'm not the only one with this problem. Had a total colectomy, 1 month ago. Came out of the hospital the same weight i went in. But since then weight going up at an amazing rate of 1 lb every 2 days. Now heaviest i've been in ages and really starting to depress me. Also constipated, and i cant push down because i had a hernia fixed at the same tim as surgery, and scared to rip it open again. Doing averything i've been told, food wise and if i drink anymore water i'm going to float away! Any suggestions with this weight issue?

I truly wish I had some answers for this weight issue. I had a total colectomy in Feb 2011 and I immediately experienced the same problem. I felt as though I was being "DRIVEN" to gain weight. Now, over a year later I have peaked at an unbearable weight for me...and yes, it is quite disturbing because I am a personal trainer and all the things that would seem to normally work have no lasting results. I've also experienced inflammation in other parts of my body to include my feet (plantar fasciitis) and it is excruciating at times and compounds the problem.  I knew for years surgery was not a "cure" for Crohn's Disease so I did my best to avoid it at all costs, and now I see one of the problems---it just goes to another part of the body.  I hope all the best for you and that WE find a viable answer to this problem. If I come up with something I'll be sure to respond.

I had a partial colectomy a year ago and have been mystified and upset by my body's unwillingness to give up weight. I've been hungrier than prior to surgery but trying to eat less than before surgery. With strict dieting I manage to lose 3 or 4 lbs but this is with bery strict dieting. I also ran a 5K road race 2 months ago - having trained for this since August. Even with running 3 times a week I was unable to take any weight off - only maintain my weight. I would like to know if there's a valid medical reason for this and if anything can be done. Very frustrating!

I had a colectomy done in October 2012, since then I have gained 40 pounds.  I have issues with my back so am not able to exercise but my food intake has not changed.  It is very depressing when I can no longer fit into any of my clothes.  My gain seems to go up every day and I am retaining so much water and the only thing the doc will do is give me support stockings for my feet and legs.  this doesn't help the rest of me! Why so much gain?