I think this may be a dust allergy - I spent the last six or so hours spring cleaning, we've just started heating the house so dust is circulating, and I now have shortness of breath/dyspnea along with a very uncomfortable burning feeling in my lungs. It's not bad enough to make an emergency appointment but bad enough to feel bad.

Are there any natural cures and remedies I could use, or over the counter medications? I'd like to feel better ASAP. If you have experience with shortness of breath due to a dust allergy or similar, please share how you made it better?

Celebrity

Hey,

That sounds a lot like asthma. A lot. Asthma does not necessarily have to feature wheezing. And yes, it can begin later in life, which is known as adult-onset asthma. It sounds like your symptoms were quite unpleasant during the episode you described above. Next time, it could be a full-blown asthma attack, if this is indeed what you have.

Please seek medical attention, so your doctor can check your lung capacity, etc. If you do have asthma, you will be so much better off having an inhaler at hand for when this happens again. Please don't delay.

Rosie

I have asthma and what you say describes my symptoms very well. I was diagnosed with asthma at 17 after never having any problems except an allergy to horses before, so yes, it can definitely happen during adolescence or adulthood. What you have may, of course, also be something else. In either cases, your lungs are nothing to mess around with and I would suggest that you see a doctor and describe what you have been feeling, like you did here but in more detail. If you do have asthma, you need a diagnosis and to get started with meds. 

The symptoms of a dust allergy are sneezing, a runny nose, itching, red and swollen eyes, and wheezing and shortness of breath. Those are also the symptoms of other kinds of allergies, which makes it hard to pinpoint exactly what you are dealing with. The point: you cannot adequately diagnose yourself. Even if you could, you'd still need a doctor for treatment, so you might as well let him diagnose you too.

From what I have heard, people with dust allergies benefit from humifiers a lot. Have you looked into that, and do you think you would be willing to give that a try? You also, of course, have to minimize the amount of dust in your home.

Sorry for doing a "hit and run" there — I'm thankful people replied to my thread! (I was just really busy.)

The shortness of breath has been up and down. Now you mentioned it, yes, my eyes have been itchy and swollen as well. I didn't think much of it because it is only a little bit and I assumed it had something to do with contact lenses that need replacing. 

One question, is it normal for these symptoms to pop up out of the blue considering that I have never had any signs of whatever this is before? Even now, it's not all the time, it happens suddenly and then passes. I'm taking some lozenges the pharmacist gave me. 

Yes, all kinds of allergies "suddenly appear" at any point in life, no matter how old you are, and the same holds true for asthma as other posters have already said.

It may be that you already had allergic symptoms but just didn't recognize them for what they were. It is also possible for people to develop allergies later in life as their immune systems weaken. In some cases, more exposure is required before you develop noticeable allergic reactions, too.

It's good that you are taking something, but if you want to be sure you are taking the right thing, seeing a doctor is in order.