After having had 4 doctors over a 30 year period tell me that the only solution to my chronic colonic inertia is a total colectomy, I have finally scheduled it for June 4. I am an otherwise healthy, active 56 woman. I am trying to remain positive and trust that I will have a good outcome. As it is now, I have no colon function - sometimes not even with the aid of enemas/laxatives. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a colectomy with positive results (reattaching small intestines to rectum - no bag). I've had enough well-meaning folks offer horror stories so I am not in need of those. Please lift me up and help me as I try to gracefully find my way through this. Thanks! Beanie

Your attitude going into this is what is most important. I know that occasionally on these boards that people can post horror stories but recognize that they do not represent the vast majority of experiences. I have personally not ever had a colectomy but I know that my grandmother had one and her recovery went just fine! Nothing you are given in life is something that you will have difficulty overcoming, so I know that you will do fine. Keep us posted on your surgery! Are you anxious, or are you feeling calm about it?

Thanks for your reply. Since receiving the latest doctor's diagnosis on Christmas Eve of all days(!), I have been through every emotion/feeling/fear known to man. My doctor suggested that I take my time before making the decision so I have given it careful consideration. I have done my research and having done so have come to the conclusion that I have no other option. I have a strong spirit and a belief that life is to be enjoyed rather than endured so I would say at this point my attitude is pretty good. I have wonderfully supportive friends - and now folks like you on this forum who will help cheer me on. I appreciate your kind concern.

My friend had a colectomy few years ago. He is just doing fine. As i know there are no side affects that he is experiencing now. He does a little sport (basketball from time to time) and he fills ok. So i think that you will be all good. You don't need to be afraid or anything. I really hope that you surgery goes ok. All the best.

Christmas Eve?! Wow, what a lovely Christmas present. I'm glad to hear that you have researched it well because that's really the best thing you can do. Inf act, it sounds to me like you have done such research and made your peace with it that I think the surgery will be all the more successful just given your attitude. And keep up posting here! We're a great resource for you hopefully.

Thanks for your kind words. I had a total meltdown last night when I tried to go to sleep. In an effort not to wake my incredibly understanding and supportive husband, I sat out on the porch and cried for a couple of hours. Once I'd done that and reviewed again why I made this decision, I felt calmer. I got up and racewalked my four miles this morning and tried to center myself before beginning my day. I can't tell you how important this forum is to me right now. Those who have not been through this or had someone they cared about go through it, can't begin to imagine what it's like to live this way. I really need to talk my way through the process so thanks for being there for me.

Anybody can have a meltdown. That is normal, you are scared and afraid. But the good thing is that you have dealt with it and now your are fine. You have made a big decision in your life, and we like to question our self about things that we do. But you know that you are going to be fine. If your husband is supportive, let him help you go through all this. It is much easier when you have someone that cares about you. Hope that you will be all right.

dark_red is absolutely right. I think I'd be worried if you didn't have a meltdown or two! It sounds to me like you handled it very well though and it's a good idea to exercise as well. When you have anxiety and difficulty coping, exercise can really help you get through a tough time and it helps your brain emit hormones that help you feel better sooner. I'm glad to hear that these forums are helping you get through this tough time! And thanks for keeping us posted--it's really nice to hear about your progress.

Thanks dark-red and healthnfitnessguy. I really appreciate both of your comments and your support. I called the surgeon's office again yesterday to make sure that all who will participate in the surgery are covered by my insurance. Thankfully they are.

Last evening and this morning once again confirmed that I really don't have any other options. I simply cannot have a bm - not even the enemas are working. I am miserably bloated and feel like I need to go to the bathroom but can't. I am so doggone tired of feeling like this so it's good to know that this is nearing an end.

One of my many concerns is that I won't be able to work out and racewalk for a while. I do have a treadmill that I can walk on until I'm ready to venture outside (I live in a neighborhood with some steep hills), but I won't be able to weight train for some time. I've been working out and racewalking ever since I had back surgery in 1985. Starting my morning off that way is - well - how I start my day...everyday. I guess if that's what I'm worrying about at this moment, I must be okay - at least for now.

I do need you guys to help me through this. So thank you for taking your time to post for me. I really appreciate it. Jelly

Well you have to know that you won't be running only for short period of time, until your body is ready for that. And as I can see you really like to run, but you have to watch not to start running too early, after you surgery. You body will need to rest and to adjust. It is very nice to hear words of positive thinking from time to time, and I'm glad i was helpful. If you have any other questions, just ask. All the best. And keep us posted about your surgery.

Thanks, dark-red. I needed a reality check! You're right. It will only be a relatively short period of time that I won't be able to exercise. Then when I can I will feel so much better! I keep reminding myself that I will have to take it easy for awhile and not rush things or I could really cause a problem. Aside from my physical activities, I do like to quilt, read, play Scrabble, and assemble jigsaw puzzles - not to mention pet my sweet dog Jelly. Hopefully I will have the good sense to do those kinds of things while my body heals.

Thanks! Beanie

Walking the dog is much better exercise for you then running after your surgery. And reading and playing Scrabble and jigsaw puzzles is very nice. Good thing you can rest with all these activities. You need just to wait a little bit and you will be fine again. Everything will be ok. If you have some more issues or doubts fell free to post them here.

I woke up at 4:30 for my 8 am preadmission appt. The minute the alarm when off I burst into tears. My husband held me while I cried for 30 minutes. The pre-ad went fine. My BP was through the roof but I guess that't to be expected.

I am so scared... The nurse answered as many questions as she could, but I am so scared... Just needed to say it here. Beanie

Hi Beanie, do not worry, this is normal. It is not simple to do this. You have to know that you are strong and that you can go through this. It seams that you have a very good nurse that is helping you through this.
How are you feeling now? Is everything ok? Please keep us posted on your status.

Thanks, dark_red. Every word of reassurance is greatly appreciated. I feel a little calmer today, and after using a Fleet with absolutely no results, I am reminded that I did not decide to have this surgery on a whim. It has literally taken me years to arrive at this point. If there was another solution/option I would take it. But truth be told, I, along with my doctors, have run out of suggestions. I have done everything that's ever been suggested - aside from EFT - which I just couldn't buy into (and if you or anyone out there has had positive results with tapping, I am thrilled for you. It just wasn't something I could wrap my arms around.).

I am trying to wrap things up at the office in order to be out for a month. I am optimistically hoping that I will be able to come in for a couple of hours in the afternoon toward the end of the month. There are a couple of things I do at months' end that no one else knows how to do and they are too complicated to try to teach someone. We'll see..

In any case, thank you for being there for me. These posts are truly life savers for me. Beanie