4 weeks ago, i was watchng tv and my chest tightened up and i found my self struggling to breath. The problem disappered for a week or so and then happened again last night in the middle of the night but more severe. I began wheezing and coughing and i was only comfortable when sitting up right or with my head propped up on some pillows. This is the 5th day in a row now it has happened and i am getting worried. I have been to see my doctor but he put it down to a normal cough and said that it would go in a few days. What should i do? :-(

Hi there! Asthma could be a possible cause of your problem. I found that common asthma symptoms are: wheezing, cough, chest tightness, shortness of breath. With asthma, symptoms often follow a familiar pattern. For example, you may notice that your symptoms: come mostly at night; accompany sneezing, runny nose and other allergy symptoms; get worse when you exercise; worsen when you have a cold. I hope this helps.

I had allergy syptoms about 4 months ago (sneezing, runny nose), my doctor tested me for asthma when i started showing these symptoms and didnt find anything. Instead he gave me a steroid nasal spray and some anti allergy tablets which have worked brilliantly. I just dont know what to do about this horrible cough and shortness of breath.

I'm glad it's not an asthma. But it must be some kind of infection. Coughing and shortness of breath are some of the bronchitis symptoms too. Read this article, it may help https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Constant_Cough__Are_There_Reasons_You_Can_t_Stop_Coughing__a1490.html