I'm thinking about getting off Duralgesic (Fentynal) patches, (75) mg.
I have been on them for 6 or 7 months. They control (most, not all) of my neck and back pain, but I don't really feel comfortable taking them for a long term use. Also, seems like all my life consists of is sleeping, sleeping, & eating since I've been on these. Not a great quality of life, in my opinion. My question is, "How does one get off them safely", and with as little discomfort as possible? Also. what side effects or withdrawals should I expect? Are there any medications available that could help me through this process? And also I've been told this is one of the most powerful pain medz. on the market, so does that mean I'll have to live with almost unbearable pain?
Thank You.
Sincerely,

I was am also on the pain patch and the Dr. reduced it to 50 mg. I had no side effect and I'm thinking about reducing it even more. I'm sick of being controlled by my medication. I will probably have more pain but I'm not sure how much they are helping anyway. I have no life anymore and am sick of taking meds. but am also sick of hurting so bad!! Good luck on getting off of the patch, you can do it with minimal side effects if your Dr. does it slowly.

Hi every1,I also have been on fentynal for almost a year now.I was thinkin about the suboxon even bought a bottle but they say ya have ta be patch free 24hrs and i cant go 1hr without severe withdraws,sweatin,pukin,diahrea and pain.I had ta go through congressmen and doctors because after 2 days not 3 as perscribed i get thease effects and end up in er ta give a doc 500$ for a shot of morphine only ta find its withdraws.Doc told me some ppl are on suboxon the rest of there life.I thought the fentynal was expensive,suboxon is atleast tripple the cost.I was on 100s and i requested ta get dropped down ta 75s cause i was wacked out on all my meds.Im on 75 fentanyl new patch every 2 days,10mg valium every 12 hrs and 25mg promethazine every 4 hrs 4 nausia that helps but i dont sleep.I sleep an hour and a half a day at the max and dont eat but mabee an order of fries with a chocalate shake a day.Ta top it all off my brother died a while back,that same month my kids n girlfriend left me in the same month,my mom just died of cancer this past april 1 week b4 my birthday so im not even fit ta be around ppl only chat because of all this hittin at once.I would never hurt no 1 its just im in so much pain inside and out that i only talk ta my dad,doc,lawyer,kids and 3 or 4 good friends.fentynal has got me scared ta death,I havent worked in 2 and a half years,have no insurance but after almost 3yrs fight ssi is in sight so i can hopefully pay my own bills and meds ta take a load off my dad and finally give my kids moms some support so i can see my kids again i miss them,my ma and my brother more than ya could imagine.Well thanx 4 listenin ta me wine but hopefully all our lives will get better,hope it cant get worse in my case i wouldnt be able ta take it.I gotta stick it out for my family n friends but feel im diein a slow death gettin more painfull as i go.well good luck ta all n thanx again for listening.

RachelMorrison,
JFYI, I have been on Janssen Duragesic 100mcg/h every 2 days. I have been taking this and amount for the last 6 years, it's been along time since I've had any freedom apart from this so called (Fentanyl Transdermal system). Recently my medical doctor threw me fro a curve, and decided not to continue my ICA or Workmans Comp case, talk about freaking out. I had two patches left, and no way to acquire anymore until I found another doctor who would take my Workman Compensantion Case? I was beside my self, by God's grace I (He) found that doctor. I wanted to get off the patches and go through a detox stay in a rehab setting, but the new doctor explained the same thing that my old doctor did, which was we could get you off the patch, when we do that, they were afraid of what they were going to do with My pain? Becasue they said it would be back, and it would take a vengence! I am contiuning with the new PriCara patch (which they snuck in on me) the patches are totally different. The Janssen patches have the medicine gel inside the patch (you can see it, and how much is left in the patch (which I found reveiling to me, I could see if there was any medication left in it, knowing there was still some remaining!) The PriCara is nothing like the Janssen patches, they for one don't last as long, I'm finding myself changing patches before the two day time period, and I can't measure how much of the medicine is left in the patch like the Janssen patches. which again did not happen very often with the Janssen patches. Needless to say i will be back on the Janssen patches this next month, or I will ask for the next dose up if I have to stay on these PriCara company patches. I hope that help a little. I want to wish you every much sucess in you endevours Rachel.

I still would like very much to be able to somehow to get completley off these patches, but once again I'm faced with the diliema of Tremendous Chronic Pain, or Freedom of the Duragesic Patchers???? If Someone can help me find an answer, being on these Patches and other high doses of other strong Pain medicine is taking it's toll on my mind and my body I am 50 years old at the present and have been dealing with this Chroinc Pain everyday since April of 1983, my life has just went spyriling out of control, the last 6 years I've been on the Duragesic Patches 100 mcg/h and it physically and mentailly is draining me of everything I have left. Please help anyone! :( another 30 years on this patch that is 10 times stronger than Morphine just doesn't sound like the answer to live out my life, of course neither does having excruceating pain day in and day out either! I'm looking for a Chronic Pain therapist which works only with Chroinc Pain cases[/b]. I am in the east Mesa area of Arizona, if you have or know of anyone that fits this bill as a Chronic Pain Therapist please just e-mail at my e-mail. I need something soon and fast, I am tearing a family apart with my anger issures, and my anger gets set off by being in pain all day! Slowly my mannly issures are becoming unraveled, it seems like there coming one after another, and these are some of the toughest issues I have to deal with! As these mannly life styles have gone by the way side, they never seem to stop, or hold on, they just keep coming. This week another mannley issure raised it's ugly head at us and something has been taken away this issue has been the one that has helped us along the way keeping our marriage closer, and tight, for the last 30 years. For me as a man this set-back perhaps has been the toughest one for me. :x :(please anyone help me! It seems like a long time, and has been so long since I've had that peace within, as well as inside. I haven't had anytime of peace since April of 1983. It's been so long since I've had a pain free day and night. Perhaps when I am allowed to walk the streets of Gold there will be as it tells us "NO MORE PAIN" :D I'm looking forward to that so much! In the mean time if anyone has a plan that includes a Chronic Pain therapist, and has a special person who would be willing to help a lost soul :idea: , who would love nothing more than to save his family! Thanks Hypeadoo