Hi, I suffer from back pain, and I’ve been trying to use duragesic patches, but they are constantly falling off. I don’t know if anyone else has the same problem. How they stay attached?

Maybe you have hairy back. Duragesic patches have to be applied on area with little or no hair at all. If this is the case, you don’t have to shave your back, just clip the hair with scissors. The area also has to be clean before applying a duragesic patch. If you’re washing it with some oily products, that could be the reason why a patch cannot be attached. Use plain water for washing that area, and don’t use any use any lotions and creams. If your duragesic patch fall off after applying, use a new one. Once it is attached, it should stay there for three days, slowly releasing the medicine into your body.

Yes I cant keep the patch on either. I like to swim but dont know what to do.
Im desperate as the lozenges work the best but they wreak havoc on my teeth and gums. Any suggestions for people who swim with fentanyl patches and swimming for chronic back pain.

Hi, I use a product called Tegaderm, which covers the patch and generally it will stay on for the 3 days. Not too great in the very hot weather if you sweat!

I just started using the duragesic (fentanyl) patches last Monday. The first one I applied stuck on very well and I had no problems with it staying on for 3 days. The second one I placed on crinkled up and was about to fall off so I went to the pharmacy and showed it to the pharmacist to ask what I should do. He told me to buy Tegaderm and apply the Tegaderm completely over the patch to seal it on there. It DID stick on over the patch and it kept it on for the 3 days, but I really think that since that patch was dried out and crinkled, it wasn't really working.

Yesterday I put a new patch on, and a few hours later I looked at it and noticed that all around the edges it was peeling off already. I put another Tegaderm on top of it, and it seems to be working (sticking) and helping with my pain.

Just wondered if everyone has these problems with these patches staying on like this?? It seems very inconvenient, if that is the case. The Tegaderm does help, but they aren't cheap ($9 a box for 8 of them).

Just be REALLY careful about the patches falling off during sleep etc.. If you read the info that comes with the patches it tells you that if someone else accidently touches the patch or it gets stuck on them it could be very dangerous for them (especially a child or a pet). I check mine constantly to make sure it's stuck on there well.

The good news is that I was taking up to 8 Vicodins a day for pain, and now with the patch I only need about 3 or 4 a day to control my pain. It's not completely gone, but it sure has helped me a lot so far. I'm so grateful for this and wish my pain doctor had prescribed it for me sooner! I am worried about how long I will need these and what happens when I stop using them (withdrawal?) but for now, I'm just happy to have the relief from the constant, agonizing back pain I was suffering.

If anyone is still having trouble with your patches sticking, here are a few suggestions I have found thru trial and error over the last couple of years; if you are using a generic patch, ask your pharmacist if he/she can order in a different brand for you to try, some generics just want stick no matter what you do. I have had better success putting the patches below waist level on my back, from the just off my spine to almost my side. The glue build up will keep them from sticking too. The best thing I have found to completely remove it is WD 40. Put WD 40 on a clean rag, cotton ball, paper towel, etc and go over the area until all glue is gone, then shower and wash with soapy water very well. I have the most trouble during our extremely hot humid summers. I also wipe the area I'm going to put the patch on very well with rubbing alcohol, then wipe over it with clean dry cloth/paper towel. Wait a few minutes until the area is completely dry, then apply patch. Also alternate the location each time, at least by the size of the patch. I have started marking my box with the day and side the patch goes on, ex: Wed R, Fri L, etc. I now have to change mine every other day, so it makes it much easier to remeber. Also watch out for generic patches that release too fast or not enough. I have had both problems. If you start to feel strange and you have a taste in your mouth that is simialr to how the patch smells when you peel the backing off, pull it of immediately! If you aren't satisfied with the brand, change until you find a good one, it make all the difference in you pain management. I hope this helps.