Hi ladies, I have type 2 diabetes and I would like to know about pregnancy and any risk there would be to my baby. I'm just beginning to try to get pregnant and my friends are telling I need to be careful before, during and after pregnancy. Is this true? How does my type diabetes create a risk for my baby? Should I go to my doctor at this point and tell him I'm considering getting pregnant? Are there things I need to know before I get pregnant and prepare ahead of time? I sure would like to know about this so both of us would be safe.

Hello, so you're thinking about getting pregnant. Wonderful! However, yes, there can be risks to your baby because of your diabetes 2. But, if you take good care of yourself and have good medical care, you should be fine. One of the most important things you can do is get your blood glucose levels under control (well managed and I mean well) before you get pregnant. Quite often when you get pregnant you don't know you're pregnant. This is a critical time for your baby. The first 8 to 12 weeks are critical for embryo development and if things go awry here, you're looking at birth defects. I know you certainly don't want that. As long as your sugar levels are under control, there is very little concern for birth defects coming from diabetes type 2. There are other reasons for birth defects so barring any other medical conditions you might have, your fetus should be okay.

Your doctor will probably have to change your insulin dosage in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. This is normal and important. If you baby receives to much glucose, the baby will grow bigger than normal. This may cause a pre-mature delivery as well as a C section due to size of the baby. Clearly, you want to avoid this and it's easy to do. Manage your blood sugar levels religiously, eat properly and exercise according to your doctor's recommendations and your baby and you will be fine.