I have been diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and have been given Byetta for 2 months now. I also take metformin. I just found out that I'm pregnant at about 3 to 4 weeks. I need to have some information about Byetta and pregnancy. Advice is needed. I don't know whether to continue taking Byetta or whether I should stop taking it. I have read that Byetta carries great risk during pregnancy. Does anyone know anything about this? Since I'm already pregnant, I'd like to know if there can be any complications with Byetta and can I have a healthy baby. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. I am really worried. Thanks

Did you get a pregnancy test done by your doctor or did you do a home pregnancy test? I will make the assumption that you went to your doctor. Is this the doctor that prescribed Byetta and metformin to you? If so, your doctor will tell you about the risks of taking Byetta during preganancy.

Studies that have been done on Byetta were in pregnant animals particularly mice. The results of these studies demonstrated that baby mice had decreased growth and birth defects. There were a number of defects but skeletal problems were most pronounced. Researchers also observed a higher mortality (death) rate. For those reasons, the FDA has classified Byetta as a pregnancy Category C drug. That's why it is important for you to talk with your doctor about the risks of Byetta and pregnancy. The FDA warns: For people who are pregnant, Byetta may not be safe. Your doctor will weigh out the pros and cons in your particular case to determine whether you should stay on Byetta or not. As far as your first, few weeks of pregnancy and taking Byetta, nothing can be done about that.

I don't personally know of anyone who has had a problem with Byetta nor do I know of any reports on pregnant women and Byetta. However, your doctor should know. Do not stop taking your medication on your own. You need to tell your doctors and they will let you know what to do. Remember, having well managed blood glucose levels is paramount to having a healthy baby. High glucose levels in the first few weeks of pregnancy are known to generate birth defects.