Hello! I am 5 months pregnant and I have developed a problem that I have never had before, with my first 2 children. It is called Preeclampsia and I would like to know more about it as I haven’t had much chance to talk to the doc or any of the stuff at the clinic.

Preeclampsia is a condition in which a mother develops hypertension often associated with signs such as water retention and protein in the urine. If you experience any pain in the upper outer quadrant of the abdomen, this means there is liver involvement. It is still not known what causes this condition but we are learning much about it and its various subtypes each day. In its extreme form, a mother can develop liver failure. The platelets which are essential for blood clotting can drop and her kidneys may fail. This is called "HELLP Syndrome". Often delivery, even of a preterm baby, is the only way to stop the progress of this condition. Treatment for preeclampsia involves bed rest, proper nutrition and limiting stress, even hospitalization, antihypertensive medications and induction of labor or cesarean birth.