Hello! My best friend has been diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease. I have never heard of such disease. Is there anybody who could tell me more about it! Thanks

Pelvic inflammatory disease or PID is a bacterial infection of a woman’s reproductive organs. Most cases of PID are the result of infection by two sexually transmitted diseases – gonorrhea and chlamydia but it may also be caused by medical procedures performed on the reproductive organs and when bacteria that occurs naturally in the vagina migrates farther inside the body. This disease may attack any of the organs in the pelvis. They are uterus and its linings and walls, the fallopian tubes and the ovaries. Antibiotics are used to treat this condition. Antibiotics can cure the infection, but cannot reverse any organ damage caused by PID. If left untreated it may lead to infertility.