Lately I have been experiencing vaginal discharge. At first I thought that it will go away but it had not. So, I went to my doctor and he told me that I have Chlamydia. Can someone tell me more about this?

Chlamydia is a bacterium that causes infection. This infection is very common among young people and it is transmitted through sexual contact. What is interesting is that many people do not know that they have Chlamydia. This happens because even though they are infected, they may not have any symptoms. About 75% of infected women and half of infected men have no symptoms of Chlamydia infection. Risk factors for Chlamydia infection are: unsafe sex, having sex with more than one partner, being in a sexual relationship with someone who has multiple sex partners. Symptoms of Chlamydia infection in women are an unusual vaginal discharge, bleeding after intercourse, bleeding between menstrual periods, abdominal or pelvic pain. If it is left untreated Chlamydia can spread into the pelvic area and infect the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. This all leads to pelvic inflammatory disease or PID. Chlamydia can be easily treated and cured with antibiotics.