I was diagnosed with Chlamydia one week ago and eve though my doctor told me the basics about it; I would like to know more. What are the affects of the Chlamydia? I would appreciate any information.

Chlamydia is a bacterium that causes infection that is very common among young people. It is transmitted through sexual contact and many people infected with it are not even aware of it. The reason for this is because sometimes there are no symptoms. About 75% of infected women and half of infected men have no symptoms of Chlamydia infection. Risk factors for Chlamydia infection include unsafe sex, having sex with more than one partner, being in a sexual relationship with someone who has multiple sex partners. Symptoms of Chlamydia infection in women are an unusual vaginal discharge, bleeding after intercourse, bleeding between menstrual periods, abdominal or pelvic pain and if left untreated Chlamydia can spread into the pelvic area and infect the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. All of this leads to pelvic inflammatory disease or PID. Chlamydia can be easily treated and cured with antibiotics.