I am 41 in June this year, and have been having what i call irregular periods since the beginning of 2009. My periods used to be a regular 28 day cycle, lasting for 5 days. When i turned 35, i noticed changes, such as cramping 2 weeks before my period. Now i'm no longer experiencing the cramping before my period, but when my period arrives, or a show of blood indicates my period has started, it takes 3-4 days before the blood actually begins to flow.

I went to see a gynaecologist last month, because i was 10 days late and had exhibited some pregnancy symptoms, such as food craving, nausea and fatigue. My period came on day 12 and although there was no clots, i thought perhaps i'd had an early miscarriage. She performed a scan and said that my womb was normal and that it is possible that I'm early menopausal. I told her that i wanted to have my last baby this year and she recommended that i take a blood test three days into my cycle to determine if i am actually menopausal. My last period began on the 3.4.09 and ended on the 10.4.09. I had a gush of blood on the 21.4.09 and as of today have had no blood flow/spotting or discharge. I wonder if anyone else is going through the same things as me, or does anyone have any advice for me.

Hi:
This sounds like perimenopause. That is symptoms like yours that occur several years before actual menopause. This would be very common, if that's the case. There are options that your doctor can describe to you, if this is the case. You seem young for actual menopause unless early menopause runs in your family. Some of the options to control the bleeding are: BC pills/shots, thermal ablation or hysterectomy. These are your choices. Of course, the hysterectomy is the most permanent and severe, even with a partial one. In addition, there can be many uncomfortable side affects. Consult with your doctor, but try to relax. Your experience sounds very normal. I experienced the same thing as did every one of my female friends and acquaintances that talk about it. Unfortunately, I don't think that women hear much about it publicly, so when it happens, it comes as a shock and causes panic. I hope you will be doing better soon. Let us know.