I have been menopausal now for over two years now during which time I have had a continuous creamy white discharge, with the occasional clear day. I have had various tests to rule out any infections or hormonal reasons but doctors say everything looks normal? I thought normal was clear white? They can't find any reason although they haven't come across it before. I do find that hard to believe?Has anybody else got this problem? I have tried various different types of HRT but no change? I've not taken HRT for one whole year, no change? I've eliminated certain things from my diet but it is always there. I do drink wine a lot and wondered if this affects vaginal discharge? Can diet affect discharge? What can I do to get rid of it? Also the inside of my vagina goes from a healthy pink to white? Wish I could find out what is happening. I am 47 but very healthy and go to the gym three times a week but I do get stressed easily. Actually this is stressing me out , help!

I just found your post. I am 50 and been menopausal for 1.5 yrs., and I, too, have had similar discharge, sometimes profuse. Usually after jogging. Also, I have greenish-toned discharge that is thicker and I can't get it out of my panties. Its like cement!! And I have a different odor than what I used to have, and I feel like I have a whole different body! Doctors say nothing is wrong......what do they know?! I know something is different. I thought it might be from my fibroids, but those should be gone now, due to the drop in estrogen. I'm convinced its hormone related, because these symptoms only started as I got more entrenched in perimenopause, and closer to actual menopause. Maybe you've gotten some new info since your post, or maybe someone else has. I'd love to find an answer.

I just read you post. I am 46 and have been going through the same thing. I have a constant white creamy discharge and an odor when I urinate. I only started having these sympthons recently - like 4 months ago. I went to my GYN and was told I had an overgrowth of healthy bacteria. It was followed by a yeast infection due to an antibiotics vaginal cream. After finishing taking meds for both I still have the creamy white discharge. I sometimes also have itching but usually after working out or being swetty. I actually had a total hysterectomy in 1996. But did not have the discharge until recently. Maybe it is related to menapause after a certain age. I hope its just that.

Hi I am 48 now and I think I am going through menopause as what I heard from my friends. I have white discharge like you and I never heard my friends mentioning about this. I was a bit concern and I found your site and is very useful. Thanks!

I am beginning early-onset menopause- I am only 39.  I have had white thick discharge on and off for a few months.  The dr.ran all kinds of tests looking for an infection, then said that all of the tests came back negative and nothing is wrong.  I have been worried about this discharge and the possibility of passing on an infection or something to my husband.  I don't know what is up.  Sorry I had no answers, but yes, it is happening to me too.

hello "cover look" I'm 40+and having the same problem. I have been going through menopause forn19 years now. It was due to force menopause. I was pregnant with my daughter and found out I had ovarian cancer when she was 8months. So they did a complete hysterectomy . I was force in to menopause early. I'm not sexually active although i should be. Another story. But I'm having this white discharge also . I will mention it to my doctor as soon as I get there. I don't like the smell, and I really would like to know what's going on. I work out I run marathons eat right ( at lease I try) my body is not stress free I'm working on that. I will let you know if I here anything please do like wise. Funny_lady

I am now 49 yrs old, now going through perimenopause about a yr now. Hot Flashes, last yr a began vaginal discharge here and there and odor,, Now Valentines Day for a couple of weeks discharge and odor,
Dr had me give urine sample, put me on anitbiotics for what may be Bladder Infection, Acute Cystitis.. Sending sample to lab should know in a week? I been Thinking Yeast infection? but do not have all those symptoms, I never was able to have children, due to since 18 7 surgeries for cysts, endrometreosis, Dr never took, uterous, ovaries out, last surgery in my 30's I asked historectomy, I was not married and still today single,, I am at a dangerous risk now to have a full historectomy, cause all adhesions through my surgeries glued to other parts, such as bowel, etc could kill me if I had a historectomy,, I will hopefully see if its just a bladder infect and will take these 7 day antibotics, I am sexually active but about 2times a mth..

I'm 48 and after reading all these posts, do believe the white or creamy/clear discharge is due to menopause stage. I've been in what I am now positive was peri-menopausal stage for many years, with discharge that required a panty liner every day w slight odor, in addition to night sweats.

In the last 40-50 days (not quite two months) I have not had my period but increased discharge with tiny amounts of fresh menstrual bleeding in it. It has a stronger smell. I do not believe it is an infection, there is no pain. I had a clean bill of health from my ob/gyn. She couldn't tell what my discharge was either, only that all women have different symptoms during menopause. My night sweats have also decreased somewhat. I still feel warm but I'm not waking up drenched in sweat, thank goodness.

Hope the menopausal symptoms don't get worse than this. The peri-menopausal symptoms were very bothersome, and I want to say it's been going on since I was 35, after my first pregnancy.

sasssy wrote:

Some women experience a noticeable vaginal discharge once they have finished menopause due to a hormonal balance. A vaginal discharge post menopause can signal that the vaginal wall is atrophying, causing vaginal tissue to shrink. The website Menopause Insight Interactive states that postmenopausal women tend to experience vaginal atrophy, when the vagina and other reproductive organs become thin, dry and inflamed due to the lack of estrogen. The discharge is usually thick and white, but it can also be thin, watery and brown.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

So comforting to read that I'm not the only woman having this discharge during menopause.  I was beginning to worry.  I had a procedure done about 10 years ago to distroy the lining of my uterus because of heavy periods and cramping so I haven't used any feminine protection since them.  When this discharge started last week, knowing I'm in menopause, I was concerned.  Everyone talks about hot flashes and night sweats and irritability but no one mentions this.  I don't have an answer.  I've just stocked up on ph balance cleansers, odor protection powder and panty liners.  I was afraid I'd damaged my system.  If any one has found any relief, please share.  I can't bare the thought of dealing with this discharge for 1.5 years.

Im 41 and i havent had a cycle in two years...i have the hot flashes as well as night sweats...now for the past week and a half ive been having a discharge...its thin with a hint of a creamy color..at the moment there is no odor and i have to wear a pantyliner....its very uncomfortable..thank all the women that is responding..very helpful.

Thank you ladies so much.  I'm 46 and have gone through Menapause, it hasn't been so bad,  however the white discharge is crazy I have done everything to mask it and it does have a slight oder I find myself bathing more trying to hide the slight oder.  Again thank you ladies for the information and helping not feel like I was the only one experiencing this.  

I am 51 and have been peri-menapausal for seven years. I too have been to the doctor and they tell me I am normal I have the discharge clear to brownish and I find that there is a thinning of the virginal wall. When I wipe or wash lightly i find I bleed from bruising the virginal opening, so I pat and wash instead. If I take Norforms for the order it works for about three weeks then it starts up again. has anyone have another way to get rid of the order.

I am 44 years old and I think I am in perimenopause. I am 10 days late for my period which is totally abnormal for me since I am bang on regular. I also have the white discharge you ladies have been talking about and I am thankful this was brought up because I have been wondering what this is caused from if I have an infection or is it something worse. The first time I saw this creamy white discharge I was actually afraid because it just kept coming and coming and then the next time I went to the washroom it was almost non existent. An odor is present but does not make me self conscious where I need to shower more than I do but it's definitely there. I tried wearing panty liners and it totally dries me out. The only positive to the discharge is that it acts as a lubricant during love making but that's it lol. If anyone else can give ideas or suggestions on what else I can try as the liners cause more problems that would be awesome.  

Hi ladies. I am 44yrs old and have not had a menstrual cycle in 1.5yrs. I have also been having discharge accompanied by a funky smell. I have been very nervous and scared. Thank u ladies for sharing. I am not the only one going thru this. I have also been experiencing breast pain, which am not sure if it is a symptom of menopause or not. I have an appt w/ my dr. tomorrow. I am soo curious to find out. I am so glad I found this website.